Author Topic: mcpherson/grant  (Read 25003 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: mcpherson/grant
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
PS: re the 1841 Census entry and Christian/na/ne's surname.

In Scots Law a woman's legal surname does not change on marriage. It is merely a convention (probably imported from England) that she is known by her husband's surname. This is why in legal documents Mary Smith married to John Bloggs will be described as 'Mary Smith or Bloggs'. It is also why mothers' surnames generally appear in Scottish baptism entries, unlike England wher you usually get only the mother's given name.

It is quite common for wives to be listed in the census, especially in the earlier ones, under her own surname. It does not mean that she was not married!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 05 04:19 BST (UK) »
Foveran,
Thankyou, for correcting me, on the true way things are, in Scotland. re Marriages.
What great detective work, with the Poor lists, It is strange that William the informant, on his fathers death, isn't mentioned as a son, in the Poor list ???
I wonder why?

Kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 05 08:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was surprised to see that too. Normally all the children are listed, and the Inspector must have known about William because he was still alive and living locally, according to the death certificate and census.

Most odd.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aarongardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there my name is AARON GARDNER and currently doing my family tree when i came across this post:

Alex,

This is a long shot but my ggggrandfather, James Forsyth was b. 1785 in Aberdeenshire (next door to Banff) and his parents were WILLIAM Forsyth & Ann McPHERSON.

After years of research I've noted repeated intermarriage of the same families is generally followed by the use of the in-laws common given names.

Also, the above noted James had a grandson named John GRANT Forsyth but I've never found the GRANT connection.  I know - it's reaching a little but an interesting co-incidence.  Good luck!

Jack

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]

Please may you tell me WILLIAM FORSYTH's Parents

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS

Email addy removed to prevent spamming and other abuses.  Please use RootsChat's secure PERSONAL MESSAGING System to exchange personal data.
FORSYTH -- SCOTLAND

GARDNER -- SCOTLAND

MARSHALL -- SCOTLAND

RUSSELL -- SCOTLAND

TONKS -- SHEFFIELD

TONKS -- KINGSWINFORD

Offline gorander50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 October 09 05:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out information about a Helen McPherson Grant from Banffshire who married a Charles Nicol from Moreyshire Their address was Ballandollach P.O. Scotland and I think they were married on 7/14/1862.  Charles was born in 1834.  They immigrated to Port Dover, Canada.
Helen's parents were Robt or James Grant & Margaret Smith.  I can't figure out where the McPherson name came from.  Anyone with information on Helen or parents would be appreciated. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 October 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gorander

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you viewed Helen's marriage cert? I ask because I am not sure whether Helen's parents were married at the time of her birth. This can often be indicated by the way the marriage details are written up regarding parents. For example if mother shows as Margaret Smith, not Margaret Grant, maiden name Smith.

There is this possible entry in 1841:

George Smith 60, farmer
Helen Smith 60
John Smith 25
Margaret Smith 25
Helen Grant 4
George Ross 10
Alexander Finlay 25

Address: Bolnapiats, Inveraron, Banff

In 1851, Margaret Smith shows as unmarried. Have a look at the household entry on http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl. If you search for a Margaret Smith, age 39 in Inveraron. Possible entries for a Helen Grant working away from home that year that could fit.

In 1861, there is this entry:

George Smith 84, Farmer Of 25 1/2 Acres
John Smith 53, son
William Smith 51, son
Margaret Smith 55, daughter
Hellen Grant 25, granddaughter, teacher b. Inveraron
Christian Smith 34, niece
George McPherson 15, nephew

Address: Bolnapiat, Inveraron, Banff

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 October 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Address: Bolnapiats, Inveraron, Banff

This is in the parish of Inveravon not Inveraron.

It's marked as Bolnapiat on the modern 1:25,000 map but almost certainly abandoned and ruinous. The National Grid reference is NJ224327. You can see where it is by going to http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/271103 and then clicking on OS Get-a-Map at the bottom of the page. It's not the cottage in the picture, but it probably is or was very similar.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 October 09 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, as always you are brilliant on place names and you are absolutely right on it being Inveravon. I obviously had Inveraron stuck in my head this morning and wrote it up that way on each instance when I was typing up  :P

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gorander50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 October 09 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  Maybe that's the family.  All I have is a family tree on canvas that dates back to Helen McPherson Grant which indicates she's a single child.  No info on birthdate, just parent's names.  She married Charles Nicol in 1862 and they have the Ballandolloch PO as their address.  How do I find birth, marriage and death certificates?