Author Topic: HERONS of County Down  (Read 19582 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: HERONS of County Down
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 January 13 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello cousin ?

My great aunt "Bessie" Cameron Ross married in 1932 " Frank" Adens Theadore Heron O.B.E. Born 1890 at Maryfield House, Holywood,Co. Down, he became a chief of Police in India.They died within months of each other in 1950 and are buried in Edinburgh. Her mother lived there on being widowed and Bessie & Frank were married from her brother Iain Woodman Ross' house New Gardens ,Dalmeny nr Edinburgh. Bessie's other brother ( there were 7 boys and 2 girls ) Errington Ross , Castle Heather ,Inverness .was my grandfather. Frank died in Edinburgh and Bessie died 4 months later on holiday at Southlands, Reidhaven St, Elgin the home of my maternal grandmother Mrs Sowden who had died.Bessie's usual address was given as Esher in Surrey.Hope we have a link .I have a very poor picture of aunt Bessie and would love if someone out there has another I could copy.

Fransmoi.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 January 13 11:54 GMT (UK) »
sorry fransmoi, we are not cousins i am afraid. i am only related to the herons not the ross's. good to find more info on the herons though!! i never knew that james was director of ulster bank! francis adens heron jnr is my 3rd cousin twice removed.
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline jaypee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
I believe that my family may have origins in Ireland. Have you any more information about Nial Heron's manuscripts please.

Offline Heronp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 March 17 06:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm a heron trying to trace my family history. I know one of my ancestors James heron born in 1837 and then migrated to New Zealand in 1857 onboard the Indiana. Is this the same herons or different ? We have no other Information before he came from Ireland.

Offline 6thGenHeron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HERONS of County Downs
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 October 23 04:53 BST (UK) »
I’m Donna from Australia. 6th generation Heron from the general merchant and ship owner John Heron 1781-1870 of Queen street Belfast who was the first director of Ulster Banking Company in 1838.
His father was Patrick Heron 1750 -1816 who purchased Ardigon House Killileagii.

John Heron 1781-1870 and Sarah Mathews 1788-1867
Had ten children including William Cowan Heron 1819-1917 and James Heron 1816-1868

James Heron married Nerissa Rosavo Hutton 1824-1924, they had eight children together.
In 1844 James had a liaison with the housemaid Sarah Smith 1828-1885… together they had a boy named James Mathews Heron 1844-1916.
Sarah took her son James to Australia in 1855. The Heron family continued to financially support the boy who was very well educated.

James Mathews Heron met and married Annie Rahilly 1848-1918 in Beechworth Victoria Australia. They had eight children.

One of those eight children was Louis Stanley Heron 1877-1968… he settled with his young family in the outskirts of Melbourne Australia in a seaside town called Seaford.
Louis Heron is my great grandfather, and his daughter Mary Kathleen Heron 1917-2005 is my grandmother.

Offline 6thGenHeron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 October 23 05:46 BST (UK) »
Donna from Australia again, 6th generation Heron.
What I believed to be Ardigon house, is actually Tullyveery  House Killyleagh Downpatrick.
Or maybe the Herons also owned Ardigon House, of which I cannot find any further details.
Any information would be appreciated please.
I’m not sure if some of the earlier dates are accurate.
See my previous post.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 October 23 21:35 BST (UK) »

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

" Frank" Adens Theadore Heron O.B.E. Born 1890 at Maryfield House, Holywood,Co. Down

Francis Adens Theodore Heron born 14 June 1890 at The Nest?, Cultra, Co Down.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02433/1906034.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 October 23 10:39 BST (UK) »
What I believed to be Ardigon house, is actually Tullyveery  House Killyleagh Downpatrick.
Or maybe the Herons also owned Ardigon House, of which I cannot find any further details.

Both Tullyveery House and Ardigon House existed. The townlands of Tullyveery and Ardigon are adjacent to eachother.

Tullyveery townland
https://www.townlands.ie/down/dufferin/killyleagh/killyleagh/tullyveery/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4655408#map=15/54.4155/-5.6828

Ardigon townland to the west
https://www.townlands.ie/down/dufferin/killyleagh/killyleagh/ardigon/

From a 1900-1907 map, Tullyveery House (WNW) and Ardigon House (WSW) of the village of Shrigley.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 October 23 07:12 BST (UK) »

Adding this link-

James Heron married Nerissa Rosavo Hutton 1824-1924

Narissa Rosavo Hutton marriage - 25 April 1848 - St James' Parish Church, Dublin.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09348/5385003.pdf

Her father Charles Hutton, a gentleman.