Author Topic: Henry Craske  (Read 2239 times)

Offline hunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Craske
« on: Wednesday 02 August 06 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi anyone out there this is a good one. My great grandfather Henry Craske is a mystery where he was born.. The 1901  census tells me Berkshire when I go to Berkshire they tell me no. He married Amy Field in Chelsea  1896 and moved to Wales where my grandmother was born. and died in Flintshire 1930 if any one has any conection with him I would love to hear from you. Or anyone who could help me find out where he was born please.
Thank you Julie

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Craske
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Henry's father will be named in the marriage certificate.
You should obtain a copy - it may help identify him (them) in earlier censuses.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline hunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I have done that and his fathers name was Henry and he was deceased at their marriage, but I still cannot find them on a census and yes they should be somewhere. Thanks Julie

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Inventing a father (even better, a dead one) for the appearance of respectability at marriage was not unusual.  Perhaps the Henry (the younger) lived his younger life bearing a step-father's name.  Perhaps he spent some of his early life in Berks and thought he was born there.

That's not much help, is it?  :(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
What's all the info you have from the certificate? Father's occupation, and particularly names of witnesses.

Also, does the age at the 1901 census agree with the age listed on his marriage and death certificates?  1901 puts him as born about 1865.  I can find a Henry William Craske b. Mar 1864 quarter Bethnal Green, but not others.

There don't seem to be any other Craskes born Berkshire - there's one in the 1901 census, Alice Craske, but she's a Craske by marriage.  There seem to be quite a few in the greater London region and quite a few in Norfolk, though.

Offline hunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 06 01:09 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate reads, St Marys Roman Catholic Chapel Chelsea London, 2 February 1896, Henry Craske, 31 years  Bachelor, Coachman, Residence at time of marriage, 12 Hayes   mews, Grosvenor Square Father Henry Craske (deceased) Farmer, Witnesses Henrietta Flowers, Richard  Fanstone.
Yeas the census puts him at the right age born 1865.
I have a copy of the BC of Bethnal Green and not the same father as that father was a paper hanger. So my Craske gets even deeper mystery.
thank you for your help

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 06 02:17 BST (UK) »
That's unusual, that they're Roman Catholic.  Definitely worth looking into that angle as Catholics were still a definite minority and it often indicates an Irish background.  (Which might also explain why he isn't found on earlier censuses/birth indexes).

Offline hunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 06 00:05 BST (UK) »
You know that might be the answer getting Irish information will be fun thank you I will let you know how I get on

Offline hunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
I tried to get information through ancestry about Ireland contacts, no luck do you know of any links that might be able to help me
regards