Author Topic: SHERGOLD families  (Read 52850 times)

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERGOLD families
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 September 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
According to freebmd Henry Blake married Ada Elizabeth Shergold at Wilton in 4th quarter of 1900. Then Dorothy Tugela Blake's birth was registered at Wilton in 1st quarter 1901.
HTH
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 September 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 census Dorothy Blake was at school, living at home at 22 Water Ditchampton, Wilton with her father Harry Blake who was a General Labourer on Wilton Park Estate and was born about 2nd quarter 1881 in Wilton. His wife was Edith Blake, born c.1878 at Wilton, a real axminster weaver at a carpet factory and they had been married for 10 years. So did Ada's Christian name change to Edith or did Henry/Harry remarry? They also had a 2nd daughter, Ruby, who was aged 6 in 1911 and also at school.

Samuel & Elizabeth Shergold had many children and Samuel was apparently son of John & Sarah Shergold of Ugford (1 mile for Wilton), who, in 1851, lived next door to an Isaac Blake (could there be a connection?).

Henry Blake appears to have been an inmate at the Wilton District Union Workhouse in 1891, aged 10, son of Sarah Blake, a widow and laundress, born c.1840 at Wilton. Henry's siblings were Ann (aged 15, born at Quidhampton, 1 mile from Wilton), Emily (aged 13, born at Quidhampton) and Frederick William Blake (aged 1, born at South Newton).

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
hi thanks for your replies.henry blake emigrated to canada leaving behind ada and dorothy.ada divorced henry in 1902 they married in 1900.he remarried mabel vaughan in ontario in 1913.he later died in canada.ada ended up in southampton on the 1911 census without dorothy.i have a dorothy blake in my tree that came from that area, she was adopted.are there any workhouse lists from 1902 onwards.frederick was boarding with samuel and elizabeth in 1901.there are so many blakes and shergold in this area its so hard to get the right ones.elizabeth shergold was formerly a blake.i also have henry blake as the son of edward and marie.have i got it wrong or are their just too many of them.a very confused me. ???

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Confusion all round!

So are you saying that the Harry Blake that I found in 1911 is quite the wrong person?

The Workhouse info that I found was from the census entry, not from any workhouse lists, which I would not know where to look for.

So is there a relationship between Elizabeth Shergold, nee Blake and Henry Blake who married Ada?

Is the Henry Blake who was son of Edward and Marie a better match than the one I found? Or is he a red herring? Or are they all part of a larger Blake family?

How do you know that Dorothy Blake survived? Maybe she didn't and that is why her mother was alone in Southampton in 1911? Or do you believe that Dorothy was adopted by someone else? Tracing adoptions is notoriously difficult.

More questions than answers, sorry.
Caspar

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 September 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
harry blake is a different person the one on the 1901 census.i also tried to trace sarah as the mother and that too was a dead end.elizabeth shergold was definitely a blake her father was george blake and his father was john blake.henry blake's father was edward blake and his father was also john blake.seems like the henry and the ada were related in some way. my family tree isnt easy.dorothy was my grandmother and was born in the ludgershall area.she was adopted in hawkhurst by another family.i know she is a blake as there is a mistake on one of her childrens entries that has had the maiden name of blake crossed out and her adopted name put in.also there is no death record for dorothy nor is she on the 1911 census.it appears that between 1902 and 1905 there was alot of upheaval in the family.dorothy's parents divorced after only 2 years of marriage and her grandfather samuel died in 1903.a very difficult time.harry was married to edith,i have found since posting the marriage of henry and ada.ada being ada elizabeth shergold.maybe i never made myself too clear sorry. ::)

Offline sussexroger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 28 July 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
I have only just found this site and thread while looking for more info on Martha Shergold and have only recently had a blitz on the Down family prior to a visit to the Salisbury area and found it quite helpful.

DOWN
I am descended from James and Martha, through Jonathan and Selina, Edwin and Lavinia, and Sidney and Mildred. I can identify Julian from a rough family tree given to me by my sister some years ago. The Family Bible Julian refers to is likely to be the one my father had. He died some years ago and the Bible was passed to another branch of the family by my mother as I wasn't interested in such things all those years ago! (Not sure who, possibly Frederick).

Looking at the attachments I have a few comments.

Selina was baptised in Fordingbridge 5 Nov 1843, parents James and Hannah Thorne of Burgate Lodge, Fordingbridge.

Jonathan's son Edwin married Lavinia Colton in Rugby in 1896. They moved to Polegate in Sussex and had two children, Doris born in 1899 and Sidney born in 1900. Doris never married. Sidney married Mildred ("Ivy") Cuthbert in 1935 and had two children, Doris in 1936 and Roger in 1947.

Jonathan's son Walter was born in 1870 in Stratford sub Castle, married Annie Morby in Banbury in 1895 and had two children, Frederick John in 1896 and Herbert Stanley in 1900. I do have a bit more information if anyone wishes.

SHERGOLD
Has anyone noticed the memorial slab in Great Wishford church to Henry Shergold 1694 - 1768? I wonder if he ties in anywhere? There seem to be even more Shergolds than Downs in the area ( I noticed 50 in Great Wishford out of a population of 358 in the 1841 census.

As I said above I've only just started on this journey, and any help anyone can give would be appreciated as visits to the Wiltshire archives are going to be few and far between.

Regards,

Roger

Offline missymare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 12 June 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this site, i have recently visited the Welsh Army museum in Brecon and there was a Private John Shergold who fought at Rourke's drift in the Zulu wars. I wonder if he could be a relation to us? My grandmother was born in London as was John, then she moved to Wilton as a child. Her full name was Lillian Rosalie Fanny Shergold. She was born in 1899 and married in Wilton church to Reginald Victor Fearnhead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 14 June 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Missymare.Are you sure that your relative Lilian Rosalie Fanny Shergold b 1899 Lambeth daughter of Richard Reginald Shergold and Matilda,actually married Reginald Victor Fearnhead at Wilton Church,as unable to find a marriage for her.
Note a Reginald Victor Fearnhead died Bournemouth 1978.
Brionne
Welcome to Rootschat.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline missymare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,  thank you for your reply. Yes I am sure Lillian and Reginald married as they were my grandparents! I went to their Golden wedding anniversary! There is a thread about them on ancestry. com. My father told me that they were married in Wilton. They had 6 or 7 children! They moved to Portsmouth and then to Christchurch. I just wanted to know if Lillian was related to Private John Shergold who was at Rourke's Drift. Thanks again.