Author Topic: Lost - Josiah James JACKSON  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Lost - Josiah James JACKSON
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
Josiah was born in 1850 in Warwick.  He is with his family on the 1851 census and listed as Joseph with them in 1861.

He seems to have mysteriously disappeared then until someone I think is him reappears in 1893 in London to marry Elizabeth Brindy.  At the 1901 census he is described as a Manager of Chambers.

I have not been able to see any record of him in the intervening 30+ years.  Even if he were in the army or navy I would have thought it possible that he would have been in the country for at least one census.

Anybody got any thoughts please?

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost - JOSIAH JAMES JACKSON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
Ellie - is he the one with father James from Birmingham and mother Charlotte from Warwick? I can see that family in 1861 in Leamington Priors with a son Joseph J Jackson age 9 b. Warwick and siblings Elizabeth 13; Jane 9;Luisa 7;Emila 5; Marriah 3 all b. Warwick.  RG9/2222 f70 p9.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Yes retiringtype - he's the one.  They are my mother-in-law's father's family.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
I found the parents and siblings in 1871 (James was a taxidermist by then) and the widowed father in 1881 ( James is referred to here as a  "bird stuffer"!)  - let me know if you need the details - but I'm afraid I can't find JJ in any of 1871, 1881, or 1891. Possibly he was working overseas.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost - Josiah James JACKSON
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Might be worth trying Scotland - I had a lass missing for 20 years and found her with husband & family in Scotland.

Trish

NB What happened to sister Elizabeth - 13 in 1861, missing in 1851?

Trish

I have no credits on SP - search 1871 gives no Josiah & 2 Josephs aged 20-22
neither seem to exist in 1881 - perhaps not such a good idea  :(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 12:41 BST (UK) »
I see that I managed to miss sister Elizabeth off my list of 1861 siblings earlier - apologies - that's now fixed. As to where she was in 1851, I don't see many possibilties. There is a 2 year old Elizabeth Jackson b. Warwickshire recorded with her uncle Thomas Washbrook and family in Long Itchington, but her birthplace is shown as Rugby. Does the name Washbrook figure in the tree?

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
I had the Jackson parents through the censuses.  ELizabeth may have been a music teacher in Bristol.  Not at home to see my research at present so don't have the details.

I had wondered about overseas or the army as younger brother William Herbert was in the Royal Artillery for many years.  (He was Bob's grandfather)

Josiah seems to still be elusive

Ellen