Author Topic: Help wanted with the Dorset Accent  (Read 8412 times)

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted with the Dorset Accent
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
Another point to remember is that places(like surnames) aren't always pronounced as they are written.  The classic Dorset example is Iwerne Minster, this is always wrongly pronounced unless you know the I is pronounced U (Iwerne also does not end in the Knee sound - sometimes heard on tv/radio).

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 06 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't "Came" also refer to "Coombe" - I think this is in the Purbecks if I recall, and close to Kingston.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 06 17:47 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Fred.....Big surprise....I was  a Vincent(before being married) but i am not sure which 'clan' i belong to. At the moment i have not researched my dads family and dont really know anything before 1934 (my dads date of birth)
or when or where his dad was born.All l  know is that his dad was called Reg married Phyllis and they all resided in Kinson area in Bournemouth Dorset.  So one day  in the future i may find that the trail heads back to Corfe......they have to have started from somewhere ???

;D  cheryle.f  ;D

I have just realised when re reading your post that your direct line are Vincents so even we could be related somehow.
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
That would be a real spooky coincidence Cheryle - you just never know who you might meet or what you might find out on this type of site.
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi Tony....I love reading posts where people find other rootschatters they may have been conversing with over a period of time and that  at some stage during their conversation are lucky enough to be in that enviable position of chatting with another person  who knows exactly what names,dates,places,family myths they are referring to .....cos they happen to be 'family' ;D  ;D. It must be so exciting.

best wishes cheryle

mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryle,  yes it is - just weaiting for the news of your link  ;D

Incidentally, I found some REALLY old photos of Sandbanks the other day - REALLY old being when it was just sand dunes and a few fishermen's huts - early 1900's.  What a change to now... Even the Haven Hotel was just a regular house - must have been pulled down to build the current one.
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Hardy - Dorset

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 November 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
 :) I bet its  one of those original 'Fishermans Huts' that are now going for 120,000plus.  LOL 'They dont make things like they used to' ::)

:D cheryle

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 November 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
No - long since gone - before my time too!
These were up by the Haven and Panorama Road end - most of that was just dunes at the time.
Even when I was little most of the peninsula was lined with houses. 
Haven Court, the crescent shaped block of flats on the right where you turn left to go onto the ferry was there about 1960 - my Grandmother used to live in one of them.
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Hardy - Dorset

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 March 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Cheryle.f wrote: I have just realised when re reading your post that your direct line are Vincents so even we could be related somehow.
[/i]
I'm sorry I missed this thread somehow in all the Christmas excitement and didn't catch up with the Vincent news! We were only honourary Dorset folks really- Gt-gt grannie moved from Wilts around 1870 with her lad.I think there were already lots of Vincents already in Dorset. :) One of Grandad's brothers is said to have built some of the roads around Kinson as Bournemouth expanded, so there could be a connection. We'll all have to work on it ;)
Fred