Author Topic: Prendergast roots  (Read 6278 times)

Offline JesKathleen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prendergast roots
« on: Wednesday 09 August 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace my ancestors back to Ireland and have hit a brick wall.  The ones I know about are my great grandmother, Honora (Nora) Prendergast, John Prendergast, Annie Prendergast and possibly Thomas Prendergast.  All settled in the Braddock, North Braddock  area of Pa.  JOhn was the first in 1878 we think. We know he and  nora and ann were siblings from a first marraige.  There were several other children and then the father remarried and had several more.  We do know that he was a postmaster of his area and we're pretty sure it was mayo, possibly Claremorris but that's the problem. No records exist about the homeland.  If there are any other Prendergasts out of mayo who have done research on the family I would be very grateful for any information

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Prendergast roots
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the 1901 Census for Mayo

www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census

There are 164 Prendergast families listed.  Good luck

Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline JesKathleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 06 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info.  Do you know if there was an earlier census?  Is there somewhere that the postal service would have kept records of their employees in the Irish districts?  I'm assuming that it was English based.  I know the family was Catholic so I'm exploring that end of it but again I have no family names for the rest of the family and more particularly the father.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 06 05:48 BST (UK) »
JesKathleen,welome to Rootschat and the great Prendergast hunt!
There are four people involved at this time in this hunt,and,so far not much progress.People on the site are very good at sorting problems but with 'our' name it's like a Chinese puzzle!Repetition of names seem's to be a big stumbling block,but in your case Nora is a useful difference!
Iwill trawl thru' my dog eared notebook's,five up to now,and collect all Honora's as well.
Don't give up,something has to give!
                      Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline jmannus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 06 04:53 BST (UK) »
JesKathleen, I'm new here and just saw your post--I have Nora, John, Anne and Thomas Prendergast and other siblings in a "side branch" of my tree. If we're talking about the same branch, my Mayo Kearns family is connected to Prendergast through Mary Kearns, who married Michael Austin Prendergast of Reisk. A fair number of their children emigrated to the USA, ending up in PA, MA and LA among others. Does that sound like a match?

jm

Hi I am trying to trace my ancestors back to Ireland and have hit a brick wall.  The ones I know about are my great grandmother, Honora (Nora) Prendergast, John Prendergast, Annie Prendergast and possibly Thomas Prendergast.  All settled in the Braddock, North Braddock  area of Pa.  JOhn was the first in 1878 we think. We know he and  nora and ann were siblings from a first marraige.  There were several other children and then the father remarried and had several more.  We do know that he was a postmaster of his area and we're pretty sure it was mayo, possibly Claremorris but that's the problem. No records exist about the homeland.  If there are any other Prendergasts out of mayo who have done research on the family I would be very grateful for any information
Kearns, Prendergast, Callaghan, Burns, McDonough, Mulaney, McHugh in Parish Knock (Knock, Carrownamallaght, Ruane, Lakehill, others), Parish Bekan, Parish Aghamore

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 06 13:24 BST (UK) »
JesKatleen, jmannus,"Google'The Square Claremorriss ireland,there's a few there may give you a legup in your search.
Welcome to Rootschat jmannus,enjoy!
          Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline Margaret Hayne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 November 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
hi i have kearns ancestors from mayo in ireland .  a lot of them moved to yorkshire in the 1880 s not familiar with prendergast name but have not done a lot of research. i have heard that  people with same surnames from the same county are usually related. my mothers maiden name was kearns

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 November 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
hi i have kearns ancestors from mayo in ireland .  a lot of them moved to yorkshire in the 1880 s not familiar with prendergast name but have not done a lot of research. i have heard that  people with same surnames from the same county are usually related. my mothers maiden name was kearns

Not at all  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Well Prendergast was an enormously popular name in Claremorris, particularly in the townland of Drumineen. So popular that there were TWO Drumineen townlands (1) Drumineen (Prendergast) ahd (2) Drumineen (South).

For those of you who are also researching this family perhaps you may be able to hlep me.

DOMINICK ANDREW CULLEN married KATE A. PRENDERGAST on the 14th June 1883 at Claremorris Catholic Church, County Mayo. His groomsman was his brother, James Joseph Cullen and Kate’s bridesmaid was Maggie Higgins. Kate was 24 years old at the time while Dominick was a year younger at 23 years. The father of the bride was Andrew Prendergast listed as being dead at the time. Dominick’s father, Michael Cullen was also listed as dead at this time. Kate was from Drimineen, Claremorris, County Mayo and Dominick’s home address was listed as Carrick, Ballinlough, County Roscommon. The couple resided at Carrick from this date onwards, with Dominick’s mother, Mary (Scarry) Cullen. Dominick’s profession was listed as Farmer/Shopkeeper

If the above is true then from the age listed, her date of birth would be circa 1859.

I have searched all of Janet Sandberg's transcriptions and found two entries for Andrew Prendergast and Bidget Stanford.
5/3/1854 - Catherine to Andrew Prendergast and Bridget Stanford
27/9/1857 - Michael to Andrew Prendergast and Bridget Stanford

Therefore I am wondering if the info on the marriage cert is incorrect (the age that is?)
Everything else fits - the father, the location, the fact that she only had a brother and no sister (as she had Maggie Higgins as bridesmaid)

Just wondering if anyone could offer an opinion on this.

Also would it be possible to find either or both of her parents births or their marriage or deaths or would that be too far back for the years of Claremorris records?

I hope I am not asking too much but I just thought at the time Janet may have also transcribed other Claremorris books and may have a searchable database.