Author Topic: Looking for info on Haviland Family  (Read 5968 times)

Offline bungleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Hmmm. Looks as if the facecream didn't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Haviland Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 August 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous - I have just found

Name: Fran John Haviland
Baptism Date: Jul 1820
Parent 1: Rd Haviland
Parent 2: Jane Haviland 
Parish: Gloucester 
County: St. Michael, Gloucestershire

The date is slightly at odds with my previous info, but this is viewable on Pallott's Baptism Index 1780-1837 at www.ancestry.co.uk. PBI doesn't seem to be listed on their website but you can get at it through rootschat, and see the original Pallott entry. 
ABEL(L), 18c, Winstone GLS and around
ASHCROFT, mainly 19c, Aughton, LAN
GIBBINS, all, Miserden GLS and around
HAGUE, mainly Malton, YRK but they got around
HAVILAND etc, 17-19c, Winstone GLS and around
HAVILAND etc, 16c, Poole DOR
HAVILAND etc, 15-16c, Guernsey CI
HERBERT, 18-19c, various GLS
OCCOULD etc, 17c, wherever in GLS
TURK(E), 18c, various GLS
VANDERPANT/VAN DER PANT, all !

Offline HavilandHeritageSociety

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 November 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for any information on Francis John Haviland b 1830 to Francis John & Jane Haviland. I haven't found any info on which county they are from, only that Francis (b.1830) emigrated to Australia & married in Sydney around 1855. Any info would be very much appreciated!

I have a suspicion that your Francis Haviland belonged to the family that descended from William Haviland (12730-1800) and Frances Abel (1728-1766).

First of all, they had a son Robert Haviland (1763-1840, born in Gloucestershire) who married a Sarah Heath (1770-1831). Robert & Sarah had a son named John Francis Haviland, born ca 22 Jan 1792, who married a Sophia Catherine Burgess in Gloucestershire. After that I have no record for them, but there could be a missing piece of genealogy there to which your Francis belongs. It is possible (although it's complete supposition) one of their families relocated to Scotland, and then to Australia with their cousin Edwin. (I'll get into that in a minute.) On a side note, Robert & Sarah (parents of this John Francis) relocated to Prince Edward Island in the Americas, and their son Thomas Heath Haviland, who married Jane Brecken, had Thomas Heath Haviland, Jr, who became a co-founder of the Canadian Confederation on Prince Edward Island.

Now, a brother of Robert Haviland was Richard Haviland (1757-1845) who married an Anne Collins. Richard had a son named Francis (1796-1880, born in Romford, England) who married Mary Nagle, who apparently died without issue.

Richard & Anne also had a son named Richard Haviland, Jr who married Jane (surname unknown). Richard Jr. & Jane had mostly daughters, but they had a son Edwin, born ca 1823 (contemporary with your Francis) who eventually emigrated to Australia (not common). Might they have immigrated with your Francis John Haviland, a cousin from a different branch, thus explaining why that branch disappeared from record?

It's also worthy to note that Richard & Anne also had a son named John. And Edwin (the Australian immigrant), also named one of his sons Francis.

There is also the possibility that Edwin had a brother Francis who was left out of the record (I don't show it). If so, then the brothers immigrated together. It's also important to realize that if your Francis WAS a son of Richard & Jane, then he would have been orphaned at age 7 when Richard died in 1837, and thus possibly being raised thereafter by one of his uncles, such as Francis or John.

Interestingly, Richard (Edwin's father) was not christened with his siblings (ie: his name wasn't on the Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary, Lambeth, London), and there are possibilities of family disputes that have resulted in purposeful omissions in the records.

Edwin died in Marrickville, Australia, in 1908, and himself had a son named Francis and many other children.

On another side note: Francis (1796-1880 of Romford) was associated with stage actor William Haviland (née Irwin). William Irwin was named after his Godfather, Francis, herein named.

That being said, one problem that contradicts the idea that this "Uncle Francis" raised your Francis is that yours is not mentioned in his Will. 

I took a look at "Uncle John" also - 1801-1865, who married Mary Ballingthwaight. They had one son: Adolphus Richard. Nothing else there...

But the rest of the data is too coincidental to pass up. In sum:

The names Francis, John, and even "Francis John" run in this family unit. At least one branch - that of Edwin Haviland, is confirmed having relocated to Australia, and Edwin's father died leaving them orphans to be probably raised by uncles. And there are suppositions of family disputes as well.

But what about a connection to Scotland in this family? That's there too!

For that we must return to aforementioned Robert Haviland & Sarah Heath, whom as I said immigrated to Prince Edward Island. They had another son named William Henry Haviland (born ca 1789) who married a Suzanna Roberts and had a son named Frederick Augustus Haviland (born ca 1825, also contemporary with your Francis). Frederick, who married Margaret Nightingale, went to Scotland. (Reasons unknown.)

So I am fairly sure your Francis John Haviland belongs in this family group somewhere, and his living in Scotland and then Australia is consistent with his close family.

If you want any more information from me - such as the complete family tree and the Wills and other data from researchers who contributed to this, contact me at boards@havilands.org or via the Haviland Heritage Society at http://havilands.org and I'll help.

--Chris

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 16 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when your Francis Haviland emigrated?

I had a look in the Scotland census for h*v*l*nd* and the index returned 67 listings. The census would, of course, pick up people of all religious denominations.

There is only one listing of a Francis Haveland, aged 7, in the 1851. He is the son of Pat Haveland and his wife Mary, all born in Ireland. There is a younger child, Sarah, aged 4, born in the parish of Old Monkland. However there is no record of her baptism in the indexes to the Church of Scotland, Roman Catholic or Other Churches baptismal registers on the Scotland's People web site.

That listing in the IGI is not only 'community contributed' and therefore automatically to be distrusted until you track down the source, but it says that Francis John Haviland was 'of' Scotland. This means that whoever contributed it really didn't know where Francis was born, but assumed for some reason that he was born in Scotland. I also note that the date of marriage is 'estimated', which again means that the contributor did not know the date of marriage, and (s)he didn't know the maiden name of Francis' wife.

I see that this piece of information was "Submitted 28/11/2012 by jpmcdade45266". I suspect that J P McDade has seen Francis' death certificate and made certain guesses or assumptions, which have then been set in stone by being included in the IGI.

Never trust any information you find online unless it is an image of an original document.

I assume that you have a copy of Francis' death certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.