Author Topic: O'Grady with Dooley/Ryan connections  (Read 26574 times)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Grady with Dooley/Ryan connections
« on: Saturday 12 August 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
I have just found out that my Grandfather was born in Borris in Ossory.  Now...I was always told that he was born in Tipperary and recently a cousin says he was born in Co Laois.  This probably sounds dim, but where is Borris in Ossory - Tipp. or Laois ?  This is something I have just started as I have been concentrating on other branches in Clare.  My Grandfather was James O'Grady and there are family connections to the names Dooley of Roscrea and Ryan.  Any tips on the town would be gratefully received !!!!  help !

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: O'Grady with Dooley/Ryan connections
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Type in
shanboe-Borris-in- 0ssery for and excellent site.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I will try it now, I think I have
sorted out where it is  PARISH  Aghaboe   TOWNLAND
Borris in Ossory, BARONY (still blank) COUNTY  Tippp

if anyone can tell me if I am still barking up the wrong tree please feel free !

Off to try this site - thankyou

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline mikewarr2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 06 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
I have in my maternal line the Grady family of Ballaghmore... its a shot in the dark but I thought I would write to you as my grandfather Thomas O' Grady had a cousin James Grady who was known as Jim. From what I have learned from my mother our Jim Grady was probably born on the Grady farm located in Ballaghmore, County Laois. The closest town to Ballaghmore was Roscrea and Jim ended up marrying a town girl from Roscrea named Chrissy? They lived and raised their children in Roscrea one of whom was a son Thomas who moved to Clare and ran a carpet business (we think) If any of this sounds familiar I would love to exchange more information.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay have been away.

All I know of my Dads family was his father was named James aka "Jim" he was born in Borris in Ossory around 1898.  They were farmers and also their cousins the Dooleys their farm being in Roscrea.  My James married Anastacia Furlong from Wexford and they moved to Dublin where they raised their children.  I have never known any of my dads side of the family only his siblings my aunts and uncles.  Unfortunately my dad died 10 years ago and none of his brothers and sisters are living.  My mum tells me that my dad used to go and stay on a farm as a teenager with his brother Brian in Roscrea (the Dooley farm) but they didn't like it there as it was so isolated, this would have been around early 1940's.  I am also told that one of Jims sisters married a Ryan and they ran a pub in this area.  One of Jims relatives emigrated to america, I am told by a cousin to Conneticut.  So you can see I have my work cut out for me with such a lack of information, so every little helps, thanks again

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Did you receive my PM, reason I ask is I have had a returned failed e-mail from an address I dont recognise, so I dont want to open it and was wondering if it was the mail I sent you on Tuesday.

Another snippet while I am about it, you are right about the name Ned Dooley, my mom confirmed it today, I previously said it was Dan, she also says that she is not 100% the Dooleys were cousins of the O'Gradys and that they may have been related by marriage.  The plot thickens as my mom tells me she thinks my Dads Grandfathers name was Thomas !  I am desperately trying to get my grandfathers birth/baptism details to see who the parents were, I am still trying to find out which church it could have been, I have to be careful because I could end up with your "Jim".   I will await your reply before I try your mail address again i case I have it wrong somehow

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline mikewarr2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 October 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
PM sent offlist.
Mike

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 06 00:52 GMT (UK) »
hi Mike

did you receive my last pm, I received your new mail address and sent you a message on that new address.  Realise you have been real busy with moving and but just wondered what had happened to you.  Best wishes to my distant relatives for Christmas

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Stasia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am descended from John Ryan and Eleanor Dooley. I only recently found out this info, they were my G grand parents. They lived in Scotland when my Grandfather James was born. What intrigues me is where my name Anastasia comes from i know i am of Irish decent and that the name is a family name - could any one have information to share.
Thanks

Ryan, Bonar, Bonnar, Dooley, Ferns, Docherty