Author Topic: Is 'FARESDAY' a local name?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Is 'FARESDAY' a local name?
« on: Monday 01 November 04 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The LDS site records the marriage of Roger Evans to Ann Faresday on 13 Aug 1815 at St Peter's Church Liverpool.

It is understood Ann was born in Shrewsbury.  I have managed to find their children and a direct line to the present day.

I am trying to find Ann's ancestors and despite a lot of research the name Faresday always draws a blank - there is no other record of this name.   I have a copy of church marriage record but the writing is very feint and difficult to read.

So, back to where I'm told is Ann's birthplace - Shrewsbury.    Can anyone help me with this name?

Regards

Gerry

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is 'FARESDAY' a local name?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 04 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Typing Faresday into Google gets me nowhere, so I tried the BVRI2 to see if the name occurs there.  It does not.  But there are a small number of Feraday/Ferriday/Feredy/ Ferraday entries in Shropshire.  I wonder if it is a case of poor spelling/ poor transcription/ poor hearing or a problem with the accent.  You may need to consider any variation upon the theme, if you haven't done so already.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 04 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

Many thanks for your reply, as you will see it makes a lot of sense.

Roger (a Coach Smith) and Ann had a son, William, born 1816 who also became a Coach Smith.   This William also had a son, William Ferriday Evans, born 1844, who also became a Coach Builder.   I have always believed that WFE took his middle name from an ancestor and Ferriday could well have been Ann's maiden name.  It all fits..........and all three men followed the same profession in Liverpool.    I have a note that Roger Evans was born in Wrexham.

I have tried to find Ann using the surname Ferriday + variations but could find no link to a birth in Shrewsbury.  I don't know her age but if married in 1815 it can be assumed she was born in the late 1700s.  From the small number of Ferriday's in Shropshire can you see any possible link to Ann?

Regards

Gerry

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 04 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Sadly, no Anne Ferriday included until 1831 in Madeley.  The other entries for this name and variants are in Wombridge (Thomas, John and Job ) in the 1780s, none for Shrewsbury itself. :'(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 04 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

Many thanks for trying.   I will have to draw a line below the 1815 marriage.

Regards

Gerry

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry

You say in your message that you have a copy of the church marriage record.  Perhaps you could post on here and maybe one of us just might be able to decipher the handwriting.  You never know!!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Thanks for your offer.   Can you tell me where to mail it and I will get it in the post.

Regards

Gerry

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Gerry,

Have you got a scanner?  If so, scan it into your PC then do another reply to this thread, attaching the file to it.

You attach it by clicking on 'Additional Options' which is at the bottom of the reply text box.  Click on browse to find the file in your PC, the file name then appears in the white box.  I hope that this makes sense to you.   Let me know if not!!!!!

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Sorry, should have said I don't have a scanner.  I'm happy to post a copy of the  record to you if you can give me an address

Regards

Gerry