Author Topic: Where was Grove Street Glasgow?  (Read 20793 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 73 Grove Street Glasgow?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
I see that someone has a birth record from 73 grove street Glasgow.  I have a letter to my great auntie in nz written from this address from her cousin who was a Rennie.  Would love more information about the Rennie family as I understand mrs Rennie was nee Stewart
Thanks Joan
Hi Joan, and welcome to RootsChat.

If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register, and search the index to statutory marriages for a marriage of a female Stewart to a male Rennie, you will get 52 results, so you need some more information to narrow down before you will be able to get the right person.

What was the date of the letter? What was the writer's given name? And was the letter from Mrs Rennie or from one of her children?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Grove Street Glasgow?
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 11:35 BST (UK) »

Offline Lisa Alexa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 May 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to locate a few places in Glasgow and coming up to a dead end.  I'm trying to find old photos or maps that may show some places.

The first place is Grove Street in Glasgow.  I'm pretty sure it no longer exists as nay hits on multimap or Google.

But there was an institute called the Grove Street Institute - does anyone know where this equates to on a map today?

I know this address "73 Grove Street" existed in 1911 as a birth took plsace there as per a birth cert and it still existed in 1924.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam
 :)

Hi Pam,
I'm new to the site, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.  But I wanted to respond directly to your question, as my great great grandparents also lived in 73 Grove Street! They were James and Margaret Miller, and according to the 1871 census, they were living there with their three children (James, Alexander and Adam). I was very interested in your post, particularly as you are talking about the same property!
Regards, Lisa

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 August 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa Alexa,

Hey what a coincidence! I'll admit I can't remember who this relates to in my tree, it's before I met my better half so it is definitely my tree  ;D

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Teigan55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’ve just joined this site after finding this forum about 73 grove street and I was wondering does anyone know anything about the house? My grandfather, Thomas Smyth, was born on 73 grove street in 1924 to Helen and Patrick Smyth.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’ve just joined this site after finding this forum about 73 grove street and I was wondering does anyone know anything about the house? My grandfather, Thomas Smyth, was born on 73 grove street in 1924 to Helen and Patrick Smyth.

It wasn't a single house but a tenement block (apartment block) withanything up to 12 different households living there.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

This is an entry for the address 10 years ealier in the 1913-14 valuation rolls. As Falkryn mentions, multi occupancy www.theglasgowstory.com/images/TGSV16060.jpg

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Some decades later, but there are some photos and comments from people who lived on the street or knew it well http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7828&st=300

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lachlan2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile