Author Topic: Shand Family of Aberdeenshire  (Read 35457 times)

Offline shand62

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shand Family of Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
My cousin David Shand taught music at Utah University.  He visited my family in Aberdeen, Scotland with his wife Melba and daughter, Bonnie around 1960.  His father, my uncle David, emigrated as a young man to America - he also visited Aberdeen.

My grandfather was David Shand.  My father was George Shand, and was brought up in Aberdeenshire along with 4 brothers ad five sisters.

I do hope this means something to you.

Very best to you

R Shand

Offline mandjanelone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 January 13 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have family links to a James Shand who was a farmer on the North Seat of Inkhorn and many of the Shand topics on this page seem to link either directly or indirectly to him. I'm hoping that some people interested in sharing their information still use this forum as it seems like the topic has had no comments for quite some time  :)

Offline marcellas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All - I am interested in this thread because it is soooo close to my FINDLAY family - blacksmiths at Inkhorn.  Anyone heard of them?  I have William Findlay's marriage to Mary Philip on Apr 26 1853 - at Church of New Deer - witnessed by James Johnston and ? Shand both at Inkhorn. 
Any hisory and other info, ideas and/or suggestions are most welcome
M

Offline karanbil

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have been away so long.

I am in the process of entering all the data I have on to "WikiTree"

Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Shand Family of Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am trying to make a connection with my SHAND family Joseph Shand from Scotland.

I have Robert 1788, Joseph 1790, Elizabeth 1791, Jean 1793 and Mary 1797 with parents William Shand and Isabel Bruce. I can get info on all of these persons except Joseph.

Several Ancestry.com trees show Isobel Maitland as there mother. I have ruled her out because the William Shand she married was in 1795 and on all 5 of their birth/baptism certs on Scotlandspeople show Isabel Bruce as their mother.

Joseph is a ghost after he was born.

There is a Joseph Shand that was married to an Ann Yule in 1826 in Quebec. She died 1826. He married Janet/Jessie Gray in 1830 in Quebec. It shows that he was a widow on his marriage cet to Janet/Jessie Gray. William Shand was present at both marriages yet I don't have a brother named William. It could be his father but I don't think so.

I can't connect the Joseph born 1790 in The Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland to the Joseph who married Janet/Jessie Gray in Motreal, Quebec.

Any help would MUCH appreciated.

Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
You probably already have this, but the following inscription is from a gravestone at Rathen:

Erected by Robert Shand Mill of Rathen to the memory of his father William Shand d. 16 Nov. 1823 aged 73; his mother Isabel Bruce d. 16 Oct. 1836 aged 85. Of their children William and John died in infancy; his daughter Isabella d. 20 Nov. 1845 aged 27. Said Robert Shand d. 26 July 1848 aged 60; his wife Isabella Weir or Shand d. 9 Jan. 1851 aged 58.

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
GR2,

Thank you for the info. Can you direct me where I can find that?

That all fits with what I have but William dying young doesn’t. The Joseph married in Quebec had a William Shand as a witness. Im thinking he came over to Canada somewhere between 1806-1826. 1806 puts him at 16. 1826 he marries Ann Yule with John Yule(father) and Wm Shand as witnesses. There are a few military records with name Joseph Shand. I thought maybe that’s why he came over. I haven’t been able to confirm it’s this Joseph Shand on those military records though.

I did just find a William Shand married in 1811 in the same church in Montreal, Quebec as Joseph. He died in 1832. That’s all I have on him. No witnesses at the wedding.

You probably already have this, but the following inscription is from a gravestone at Rathen:

Erected by Robert Shand Mill of Rathen to the memory of his father William Shand d. 16 Nov. 1823 aged 73; his mother Isabel Bruce d. 16 Oct. 1836 aged 85. Of their children William and John died in infancy; his daughter Isabella d. 20 Nov. 1845 aged 27. Said Robert Shand d. 26 July 1848 aged 60; his wife Isabella Weir or Shand d. 9 Jan. 1851 aged 58.
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Shand Family of Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Several Ancestry.com trees show Isobel Maitland as there mother. I have ruled her out
Good for you.

What probably happened is that someone got it wrong and published a tree with the error, and other people have found the incorrect information, assumed it was correct and copied it into their own trees.

You are very wise to distrust trees found Ancestry (and on MyHeritage, FamilySearch, Geni, GenesReunited etc etc etc).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
The details of the  gravestone come from a booklet of monumental inscriptions at Rathen which I have. It is published by Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society.

The fact that the stone mentions a William and John dying in infancy suggests that Joseph did not die very young or he would have been mentioned too. The death of William in infancy does not rule out any other William as it was quite common to use the same name for a later child.