Author Topic: Daniel MacGregor - Resolis  (Read 22556 times)

Offline thomas mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel MacGregor - Resolis
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 07:06 BST (UK) »
hi there,
just joined am amateur my grand father was john who emigrated to australia
married mary blaik had 8 children 4 boys 4 girls was a gold miner at gympie
my dad was the youngest boy we must be related the grandfather was a blacksmith in jemmimaville cant be just a coincedence grandfather is listed as a blacksmith in marriage cert. it cant be just a coincidence greatfather john was
buried at cullicudden by his son david in 1904 aged 92 i would just love to have apicture of his gravestone but i cant seem to get in touch with anyone there i think davids son is daniel resolis any further info would be welcome
hi second or third cousin wonderful isnt it the world is really a small place i am not young myself best wisheshope to hear from you
thomas mac

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 10:14 BST (UK) »
Interested in your post. 
I am interested in David McGregor who was married to Harriet McDonald in 1909 in Cullicudden.  Do you have any information on this sibling? My husband is descended from these McDonalds of Resolis, Ross & Cromarty.

Offline sheila44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 June 08 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thomas, it sounds like your Grandfather was the older brother of my Great Grandfather, Donald McGregor.  I was told that his wife's name was Elizabeth Blaik, and that they had 8 children who lived to adulthood, and another boy who died age 11.  It definitely sounds like the same family.  I've been trying to piece together what I can of this branch, mainly from Queensland records that are online, but I may have some errors. 
John McGregor and Ann Ross had 6 children that I'm aware of:  John James, George, Jemima, Donald, Jessie and David, although I only have info on John, Donald and David.  The other 3 are a mystery. I can't help you with the gravestone, but I have traced the family back a few generations in Scotland if you are interested.

By my reckoning, we are 2nd cousins, once removed!
Sheila
Smith - Clydebank, Herefordshire, India
Cawdell - London, Hertfordshire, Ireland, India
Parsonage - Worcestershire
Mcgregor - Ross and Cromarty, Shetland Isles
Sinclair - Shetland Isles
Bartlett - England, Cape Breton
Dauphinee - Montbeliard, Cape Breton, Lunenburg
Power - Wexford, Newfoundland

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 June 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
Been reading these messages since they started in 2006. It's great to see everyone working together and pieces of additional information added with each subsequent response. Wish I was having as much luck with my McDonald branch which my Cousin, Ruth (RSMACL) in Australia, asked about last week.
Was comparing the info on my tree as I read through each of your messages and not sure if I have names, dates, etc that might help but here goes anyway. A few questions too:

Daniel/Donald b.1853. What name is on the birth certificate?

John MCgregor and Margaret Munro. Married 5 Jul, 1816.

SHELIA44:
You had listed 5 kids for John M. and Ann Ross, thinking Jessie and Jemima were the same person. I have Jessie b.1854 and Jemima 1851.
John M. and Ann Ross are shown as married in Inverness AND Rosemarkie in different messages. Has anyone seen the marriage certificate to know for sure?
Elizabeth Sinclair middle name is Mary b.23 Nov 1857, Setter, Shetland Isles.

SHEILA33:
In your 10 Sep 2007 message you mention Donald and Elizabeth's kids. Sheila Margaret and Jemima Ann which I agree. I have no record of a Tom though. BUT I do have a John b.9 Oct 1881. But nothing other than that. AND I have the TWO William Sinclairs (1885-1895 and 1895-1896).

SHEILA33:
The Tom you thought emigrated to Canada, could this be the John b.1881 I can't find anything on?

SHEILA44:
In your 10 Sep, 2007 message. That's the John b.1881 I mentioned above. Any luck finding him yet?
Your Father - his name? When did he emigrate to Canada (195_)?
Jemima and Charle's Son, do you have a name (______ Thompson) and birthdate?

THOMAS MAC:
When did John emigrate? John James M. and Elizabeth Blaik I have with 9 kids. 5 Boys and 4 girls. Are you missing John James M 1881-1892?
Do you know when John George and George James died and where?
What was your Father's name (George James b.1899)?
I have your GGF John's birthdate as 25 Jan 1817 and died at 87 (not 92) on 8 Apr, 1904 - do you concur?
Did I read right - you believe David b.1856 had a Son, Daniel? David and Harriett married in their mid-50's. Do you have any documentation of a birth to David?

Hope I have been of some help to you. Look forward to hearing back with anything you may have.

Offline sheila44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 June 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to fill in the gaps, but no luck with some of the branches.  I haven't been able to track down John McGregor after the 1901 census; the name is just too common and brings up too many hits on Scotlands People.  It is possible that he did emigrate.  My father's name was Benjamin, and his cousin was Donald Thompson, but I have lost touch with that branch of the family.  I believe Donald died about 10 years ago, but he may still have childten in South Africa.

As to Donald/Daniel McGregor, he is listed as Daniel on my Grandmother's marriage certificates, but Donald on his gravestone, so it might be that he was christened Daniel, but known as Donald to his family.  I haven't found his birth registration yet.
Smith - Clydebank, Herefordshire, India
Cawdell - London, Hertfordshire, Ireland, India
Parsonage - Worcestershire
Mcgregor - Ross and Cromarty, Shetland Isles
Sinclair - Shetland Isles
Bartlett - England, Cape Breton
Dauphinee - Montbeliard, Cape Breton, Lunenburg
Power - Wexford, Newfoundland

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 June 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Been following this thread with interest as many of my ancestors came from the Resolis area, although I don't think my family are connected to those in this thread.

However, I would like to offer one piece of info. I notice there's a bit of debate about the name Donald or Daniel. Several of my Easter Ross ancestors (and over the course of several generations) were christened Donald but were known to all as Danny.

Could this explain your Daniel/Donald confusion? I suppose it's conceivable that registrars could have recorded an individual's name as "Daniel" in official records when they were informed that the individual's name was "Danny". A possibility perhaps?

Best wishes
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 June 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
Thanks for your suggestion. I think anything is possible when it comes to Registrars! Ruth (RSMACL), my Brothers and I have been having a discussion about the Mc/Mac flip flop for some time now. I think we've come to the following conclusion:
My Brother - So while the scribe may have been hired for his (always his) ‘supposed’ ability to write, the people that he was writing about may not have been in any position to agree that what was written was correct – as far as they understood correct. If an X would be acceptable for many people then (and some people now) then a missing (or added) ‘a’ here or there could hardly have made much difference to their acceptance of the document.
There is still a place to ‘put your mark’ on the tax return.

Ruth - As so many of the early people couldn't both read or write, they couldn't spell out to the Enumerator their name, or then even read it to see if it was correct after it was written.    That is also why they put :"X  -Their Mark" for signing a document.  They obviously wouldn't know what was written, but the Registrar (weddings, deaths, births, etc.) must have probably read it out aloud, and then the person signed with their 'Mark' to signify their assent. Their name  would sound the same, however spelt.
Me - The Registrars did what they wanted (and thought was right) to do - no matter what was correct.
With respect to Daniel/Donald/Danny. Whatever the Parents said first is what he put down - without asking what name he was born with. We see this lack of attention to detail throughout the decades.
How about: Christine/Christina/Christy/Cissy all for one person!

Stephen

Offline Steornabhagh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 March 10 02:55 GMT (UK) »
As regards Donald a/k/a Danny.  I don't know your particular MacGregors, but in our MacGregor a/k/a McGregor family, we have had a Donald in every generation since no later than 1831, each of whom is nicknamed Dan or Danny.  My line has kept it that way, except that in the modern US the 'Dan' nickname has been used only within the family because it's too confusing otherwise.  Some of the collaterals who are descended from our ancestors who migrated from Lewis in 1842 to Ontario, and then across lake Huron to Northern and Upper Michigan were gradually converted into Daniels, probably by local officials filling out birth and death certs with what they thought 'Dan' meant.  As of now, there are about 5 'Dan M(a)cGregors'  within 100 miles of here, including me, but the rest of them  all ended up being named Daniel, and have not had the opportunity or enthusiasm to discover that their names are the result of repetitive typos.  I would submit that any record of a 'Daniel M(a)cGregor' living in the Highlands should be provisionally suspect....

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Daniel MacGregor - Resolis
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 March 10 05:24 GMT (UK) »
My husband John Macleod (formerly of Inverness) is descended from Malcolm McDonald, sibling to Henrietta (Honey/Harriet) McDonald, who married David McGregor in Cullicudden, Resolis, R. & C.  I have  information about this generation and below -but am actually seeking further information re at least previous two generations.
Henrietta's parents were Murdoch McDonald, House Carpenter/cartwright, b. 1821 of Glen Urquhart, and Christina (Christy) Urquhart, of Ferrintosh, b. 1822. 
Murdoch also had a brother WILLIAM HUGHIN MCDONALD, b. 1826 Urquhart.
Murdoch's parents were MALCOLM MCDONALD b. 1795 House Carpenter (Lewiston?) (deceased by 1874), marr. as Widower on 1 Jan. 1820 to  MARY MCKENZIE b. 1799, Urquhart, Killearnan Parish, R. & C.      Unable to find any further knowledge of these two generations.  Can anyone help please?   Ruth Macleod, in Australia :D