Author Topic: Daniel MacGregor - Resolis  (Read 22557 times)

Offline sheila44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel MacGregor - Resolis
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 August 07 04:24 BST (UK) »
This is what I have found so far for John and Ann:
John McGregor (the oldest records often spell the name as McGrigor): b.25 Jan 1817, Knockbain, d.8 April 1904, Resolis, the son of John McGregor and Margaret Munro.

He married Ann Ross 15 September 1842, in Inverness. (Thank you Joe!) (Inverness is a short ferry ride from North Kessock, where I believe John's parents and siblings were living.  There is a family with names that fit, in the various censuses).

Ann was born about 1815 (based on her death certificate.  I have not found a birth or baptismal record for her), and died 23 February 1899, Resolis.  She was the daughter of Isabella Bain and Donald Ross.

David McGregor lived with his widowed father at Fearn Cottage, Cullicudden and he was a blacksmith as well.  He married Harriet McDonald on 4 June 1909, Resolis, and died 22 August 1933, Resolis.

Donald McGregor moved to the Shetland Isles, then to Glasgow, finally retiring in Kilmarnock, where he died 26 Aug 1929.  His wife, Elizabeth Sinclair, d. 17 September 1926. 

The challenge now is to keep tracing the generations back.
Isabella Bain's parents were Donald Bain and Janet Davidson, but I have no definitive info on who her husband's parents were.

John McGregor's maternal grandparents were John Munro and Isabella Davidson, but I haven't found his father's parents.  With a name like John McGregor, there are just too many options.

Hope this helps.
Sheila

Smith - Clydebank, Herefordshire, India
Cawdell - London, Hertfordshire, Ireland, India
Parsonage - Worcestershire
Mcgregor - Ross and Cromarty, Shetland Isles
Sinclair - Shetland Isles
Bartlett - England, Cape Breton
Dauphinee - Montbeliard, Cape Breton, Lunenburg
Power - Wexford, Newfoundland

Offline sheila33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 September 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila44
I believe we share great-grandparents.  Iam currently having my geatgrandparents' headstone re-lettered and was searching for dates of birth when I saw your merssage.
Donald and Elizabeth were the parents of Sheila (my grandmother). Jermima Ann (named after Jemimaville ) and, I believe, a son called Tom who emigrated to Canada.  I was named Sheila MacGregor after my grandmother and perhaps you were named after her too, if you are the grandaughter of the missing Uncle Tom!
If you would like further info., just contact me.  In particular if you have Elizabeth Sinclair's year of birth, this would be helpful.  I attach a picture of the headstone in Kilmaurs

Sheila33

Offline sheila33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
Here is the attachment.

Sheila33

Offline sheila33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
Third time lucky!

Image rotated[/blue]

Offline sheila44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 September 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
Another Sheila!  How wonderful.  Yes, I was named after my Grandmother, Sheila MacGregor.  I haven't come across any Toms yet, but Sheila and Jemima (who was known as Minnie) had a brother named John who was still alive as of the 1901 census.  But I haven't been able to track him down.  It was my father who emigrated to Canada, and I know that Jemima and Charles had a son that emigrated to South Africa, both in the 1950"s, but I've lost touch with them as well.

Thank you for the picture of the headstone. I remember being  taken to see it while on a holiday in Scotland about 25 years ago.  I'm glad that it is being looked after now.

I have Elizabeth Sinclair's birth date as 23 Nov 1857 in Setter, Shetland.

Thanks for getting in touch.  Genealogy is a great way to connect with family you didn't even know you had.

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 June 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
My husband John Macleod (formerly of Inverness) is descended from Malcolm McDonald, sibling to Henrietta (Honey/Harriet) McDonald, who married David McGregor in Cullicudden, Resolis, R. & C.  I have  information about this generation and below -but am actually seeking further information re at least previous two generations.
Henrietta's parents were Murdoch McDonald, House Carpenter/cartwright, b. 1821 of Glen Urquhart, and Christina (Christy) Urquhart, of Ferrintosh, b. 1822. 
Murdoch also had a brother WILLIAM HUGHIN MCDONALD, b. 1826 Urquhart.
Murdoch's parents were MALCOLM MCDONALD b. 1795 House Carpenter (Lewiston?) (deceased by 1874), marr. as Widower on 1 Jan. 1820 to  MARY MCKENZIE b. 1799, Urquhart, Killearnan Parish, R. & C.      Unable to find any further knowledge of these two generations.  Can anyone help please?   Ruth Macleod, in Australia :D

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 June 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth and Sheila!
I notice someone mentioned David McGregor b.1856 who married Harriet (Henrietta) McDonald b.1855 in 1909.
Has anyone discovered if they had any children?

Stephen MacDonald
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sheila44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 June 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
Stephen, what a coincidence that this popped up shortly after our email exchanges. :)  Given that Harriet and David were both in their mid 50's, I don't expect that there were any children.   

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 June 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Duh! The obvious eluded me. But hey, you never know, they may have been frisky! No TV in those days.