Author Topic: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire  (Read 9193 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« on: Tuesday 22 August 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know if the Manor house of Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire, that was once owned by the Wynston family is still there .

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi hourihane,

I have just joined this MB. On another of your posts, you stated the Winstons/ Wynstons were your ancestors. Mine, too! Although I've never been to Cwmyoy, I can confirm Tre-wyn still exists. Some relatives have been checking family history. I lack most of the the details but one of my cousins will be sending a copy of the family tree. You are already aware we are related to Winston Churchill. He was given the name 'Winson' to keep the family name going. My cousin advised we are also related to the Duke of Marlborough, but no further details. I've done some Internet research myself. Your research indicates we are related to the Marquis of Salisbury. Had I not seen evidence of all the foregoing, I wouldn't have believed it! Mam was one of the Winstons of  Pontypool (none there now), a place of many happy memories. Are you able to confirm definitely the Wynstones who go back to Sir Gwyneth Gwaeford and Sir Drewed Wynstone and the Wynstons/Winstons of Tre-wyn are the same, please? I ask because my own research indicates the Wynstons of Tre-wyn took their name from the manor.

Best Regards,

AussieEd.

Offline tyler j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just joined this site and have come across your message.My gran was born in Bwlch Trewyn, Cwmyoy and said she was related to the Dukes of Marlborough tho' I don't know how. Her ancestors that I have found so far are Stockham, Jones, Powell and Pritchard but I have only just started my research.
Can you help? I would love to know if there is any truth in it.
Thanks

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 07 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyler J,

My previous message was some time ago and, due to additional research, I have more information. You will find (if you haven't already done so) great variation in the spelling of names-standardised spelling for a long time was non-existent!

You may be related to the Winston/es (originally de Wynston). They go back to King Ynyr Ddu (b c893) of Gwent (apparently approximately Monmouthshire and Glamorgan in those days). His daughter, Morfydd (b c925) married Prince Gwaethfoed-uncertain whether of Cardigan or Powis (most likely the latter-there were two). Several generations later, was Sir Gwyn ap Gwaethfoed, who was knighted by William the Conqueror. Information is sketchy because English compilers failed to understand the Welsh patronymic system-they placed Sir Gwyn as Prince Gwaethfoed's son. Information I've found indicates it may be Gwyn ap (son of) Eunydd ap Cadell ap --- ap Gwaethfoed (the Prince). It is impossible to be precise as I've failed thus far to locate the relevant birth dates. Perhaps they were never recorded!

Sir Gwyn married Emma de Baladon and their son was Sir Drogo (or Drew) de Wynston, Lord of Tre-Wyn, the originator of the Wynston/Winston/e line. Some of the Winstons later moved to Gloucestershire-and some of those (my line) subsequently returned to Wales. Sir Henry Winston of Standish's daughter Sarah (of the Gloucestrshire branch), married John Churchill in 1616. Their son was the the original Sir Winston Churchill (1620-1688). He received the 'Winston' from his mother's maiden name to keep it in the family. Their son was the first Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722) whose daughter, Lady Anne (no dates) married Charles Spencer (d. 1722). Their son, Charles (no dates) became the third Duke of Marlborough; while another, John (d.1746) was the ancestor of Princess Diana. Charles' line led to the last Sir Winston Churchill!

Most likely your gran's ancestry links to the Winstons. Of the ancestral names you mentioned, you may already be aware that Powell originated from ap(son of) Hwyl and Pritchard from ap Richard. This may help in searching. I've looked at the Winston pedigree. As far as the Jones name is concerned, my g-grandfather, Charles Winston (b1858 in Abersychan, Mon.; d1924 in Pontypool, Mon.), married Louisa Jones (b c1858 in Abersychan; d1905 in Abersychan). I have tried a preliminary Net search but failed to find a definite match for Louisa.

Hope the foregoing helps! 

Regards,

AussieEd.

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 07 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyler J,

My previous message was some time ago and, due to additional research, I have more information. You will find (if you haven't already done so) great variation in the spelling of names-standardised spelling for a long time was non-existent!

You may be related to the Winston/es (originally de Wynston). They go back to King Ynyr Ddu (b c893) of Gwent (apparently approximately Monmouthshire and Glamorgan in those days). His daughter, Morfydd (b c925) married Prince Gwaethfoed-uncertain whether of Cardigan or Powis (most likely the latter-there were two). Several generations later, was Sir Gwyn ap Gwaethfoed, who was knighted by William the Conqueror. Information is sketchy because English compilers failed to understand the Welsh patronymic system-they placed Sir Gwyn as Prince Gwaethfoed's son. Information I've found indicates it may be Gwyn ap (son of) Eunydd ap Cadell ap --- ap Gwaethfoed (the Prince). It is impossible to be precise as I've failed thus far to locate the relevant birth dates. Perhaps they were never recorded!

Sir Gwyn married Emma de Baladon and their son was Sir Drogo (or Drew) de Wynston, Lord of Tre-Wyn, the originator of the Wynston/Winston/e line. Some of the Winstons later moved to Gloucestershire-and some of those (my line) subsequently returned to Wales. Sir Henry Winston of Standish's daughter Sarah (of the Gloucestershire branch), married John Churchill in 1616. Their son was the the original Sir Winston Churchill (1620-1688). He received the 'Winston' from his mother's maiden name to keep it in the family. Their son was the first Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722) whose daughter, Lady Anne (no dates) married Charles Spencer (d. 1722). Their son, Charles (no dates) became the third Duke of Marlborough; while another, John (d.1746) was the ancestor of Princess Diana. Charles' line led to the last Sir Winston Churchill!

Most likely your gran's ancestry links to the Winstons. Of the ancestral names you mentioned, you may already be aware that Powell originated from ap(son of) Hwyl and Pritchard from ap Richard. This may help in searching. I've looked at the Winston pedigree. As far as the Jones name is concerned, my g-grandfather, Charles Winston (b1858 in Abersychan, Mon.; d1924 in Pontypool, Mon.), married Louisa Jones (b c1858 in Abersychan; d1905 in Abersychan). I have tried a preliminary Net search but failed to find a definite match for Louisa.

Hope the foregoing helps!  

Regards,

AussieEd.

Offline tyler j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi  AussieEd

Wow! Thanks so much for all the information. Its a job to know who to start with, but I'll give it a go!

Regards

Tyler J

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyler J,

I am unaware how I managed two entries in my previous reply.

Anyway, good luck with your research-could you please advise any results?

Regards,

AussieEd.

Offline tyler j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi AussieEd

Will let you know if I find a connection. Don't know how long its going to take tho'!!!
Thanks again.

Regards

Tyler J

Offline Tinozza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Aussie Ed, I was fascinated to read the information you posted on the Wynston family as I am the current owner of Trewyn. I very much want to find any information on the house prior to that which now stands on the site. The present house was built in about 1690 but I have no information on the earlier house, if it was a house. There are some remenants of mediaeval structure in the basement, but not much. We have also probably found the outline of St Martin's chapel which stood in the field in front of the house. I wonder where you have the Wynston information from...