Author Topic: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire  (Read 9201 times)

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Tinozza,
Many thanks for your communication. I became involved in ancestral matters several years ago, generally via Internet reseach as I live in Australia. Last UK visit was in 1997, when I was still unaware of these matters. Some years after returning to Australia, South Australian relatives I (then) never knew I had, did much of the research-later I added more.

If you Google 'Documents relating to Trewyn (Cwmyoy)' -then click on the appropriate Web Site, it will bring up much information on Trewyn.

A useful Site is http://www.penrose.org -then click 'Surnames', then 'W', then 'Wynston'-that provides earlier information on the Wynstons.

Hope the foregoing is useful. More can be added later as I go through my paperwork. 

Offline alexsdad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi hourihane & AussieEd,

I have just stumbled upon & joined this site, having seen your comments about Trewyn in Cwmyoy.   I am the oldest living male Winstone in New Zealand and no doubt related to you both.  My great great grandfather was Charles Hand Winstone, whose 2 sons emigrated to NZ & started what became a large family business in building supplies.

In 1959 I lived for 2 months at Trewyn, on a trip with my maternal aunt's family, whose cousin owned Trewyn at the time.   I have fond memories of its uneven stone floors, the spooky remains of the previous house, her dogs' graveyard & its beautiful gardens.  They & I never realised then that my Winstone forebears had built what I was living in!  Is that fate?

On FTM I have the complete family tree of virtually all NZ Winstone family (& back to Sir Gilbert de Wynston 1328).  My cousin has professionally researched & printed 5 large volumes of relations strecthing back appr 1000 years before then!   Another Australian "cousin" has shown me much information he has compiled.  I would be keen to collaborate, especially about Trewyn.