Author Topic: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire  (Read 7083 times)

Offline AussieEd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Tinozza,
Many thanks for your communication. I became involved in ancestral matters several years ago, generally via Internet reseach as I live in Australia. Last UK visit was in 1997, when I was still unaware of these matters. Some years after returning to Australia, South Australian relatives I (then) never knew I had, did much of the research-later I added more.

If you Google 'Documents relating to Trewyn (Cwmyoy)' -then click on the appropriate Web Site, it will bring up much information on Trewyn.

A useful Site is http://www.penrose.org -then click 'Surnames', then 'W', then 'Wynston'-that provides earlier information on the Wynstons.

Hope the foregoing is useful. More can be added later as I go through my paperwork. 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline alexsdad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tre-wyn ,Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi hourihane & AussieEd,

I have just stumbled upon & joined this site, having seen your comments about Trewyn in Cwmyoy.   I am the oldest living male Winstone in New Zealand and no doubt related to you both.  My great great grandfather was Charles Hand Winstone, whose 2 sons emigrated to NZ & started what became a large family business in building supplies.

In 1959 I lived for 2 months at Trewyn, on a trip with my maternal aunt's family, whose cousin owned Trewyn at the time.   I have fond memories of its uneven stone floors, the spooky remains of the previous house, her dogs' graveyard & its beautiful gardens.  They & I never realised then that my Winstone forebears had built what I was living in!  Is that fate?

On FTM I have the complete family tree of virtually all NZ Winstone family (& back to Sir Gilbert de Wynston 1328).  My cousin has professionally researched & printed 5 large volumes of relations strecthing back appr 1000 years before then!   Another Australian "cousin" has shown me much information he has compiled.  I would be keen to collaborate, especially about Trewyn.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.