Author Topic: Craignestock Street ??  (Read 8055 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Craignestock Street ??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Unfortunately the Directories give little information about the place other than Rose's Homes Ltd 4 Craignestock Street ( and also list other locations in Glasgow). It looks to be some kind of boarding establishment or Hostel and given previous comments I wonder if it was for Women with children and supported by Welfare.

Just found this site http://www.glescapals.com/recollections-of-bridgeton-past-bobcurrie.pdf  which describes Rose's Homes in Craignestock Street as a Model Lodging House ( and not one of the better ones)

Offline Isabell1985

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's an interesting article. I wonder now, as I said, I am having real trouble finding information on my great gran's first husband, whether he wasn't around much and perhaps after he died, the family had no where to go. How sad for the children.

Offline Isabell1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
 ???

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabell1985 and welcome to Rootschat,

Agree - Roses Home sounds a grim place for children to be in the 1920s/30s.

You mention that you are having trouble finding anything about your great-grandmother's first husband. You could start a thread with his name and your great gran's name etc and see if one of the many people who use Rootschat can help you. If he died in Scotland before 1954 (which it sounds like he did) you would be able to view his death record on Scotlands People .

Best wishes for finding out more !

Looby :)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 September 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
The street ran off London Road kind of opposite the Templeton Carpet factory.

Looking at the Street directory a J Lizars is listed. That was in fact a large camera factory belonging to Lizars making high quality folding cameras. Lizars had various retail outlets Glasgow edinburgh, Belfast and various locations in England. Evidently the name was Golden Acre Works, Craignestock St.

Lizars are still in existence merged with Black and Lizars. and their camera shop in Buchanan St opp. Royal Bank was a mecca for lunchtime shutterbugs drooling over Leicas and Contaxes and the like (including me lol)

UPDATE: Found it - it was parallel with Green St and Tobago St. running from the north end of Templeton Carpet Factory crossing Great Hamilton St ( now London Road)
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Roecoyle

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Maggie Milne(ms McKay)1883-1964
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks for all your reply's and interests.
Aberdeenshire, Caithness, New Pitsligo Areas.
McKay, MacKay
Riach
Wilson
Falconer
Gibb
McLeod
Glennie
Hanton
Milne..
Glasgow,West lothian,Airdrie.
Edwards
Pitt
Duncan
Campbell
Milne
McKay.
England. London.
Deddyhn, McKay.
USA. New York.
Milne
Israel
Diddyhm ?
Deddyhn
McKay.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this - I had some relatives in Craignestock Place around 1860, and it's interesting to learn about the surroundings.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.