Author Topic: Closure of mines in Amroth and St Issells parishes  (Read 2937 times)

Offline alisontoon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Closure of mines in Amroth and St Issells parishes
« on: Wednesday 03 November 04 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good sources of information about the closure of the colliery/mines in Amroth and St Issells' parishes? I'd like to know more about what provoked the migration of many of the people from this area (including the family of young Frederick John Hughes, who went to Canada at some point between 1894 and 1915).

I have found several websites about the area, but mostly about current use (walking paths, etc.). I'm really looking for some dates and information about the mines themselves, and the trades, and how many people did indeed emmigrate rather than just move to another part of Wales.

Thank you!  :-)

Alison (in California and a long way from Amroth!)
LEICESTERSHIRE: TOON, CARVELL, BONNETT, GASK, COOK, RILEY
KENT: STROUD, ELLIS, SPITTLES
CANADA, ALBERTA and WALES, PEMBROKESHIRE: HUGHES

Offline shirleyannmarie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Closure of mines in Amroth and St Issells parishes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 04 23:35 GMT (UK) »
hi have you tried this site lots of links here about minning in wales

http://www.mike.munro.cwc.net/mining/l_rschr.htm

regards shirleyannmarie
Orr,Reay,Burns,Mcmeekin,Henderson,Horgan-Ireland
Horgan,Morgans,Richards- Wales
Dale,Clark.Tattersfield-England

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Closure of mines in Amroth and St Issells parishes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hopefully you will still get this message...

The best book is the following:

Pembrokeshire The Forgotten Coalfied by M R Connop Price published in 2004 by Landmark Publishing.

This will answer some of your questions although it does give more of an overview of your topic. While this book is in print, Connop Price's earlier book "Industrial Saundersfoot" published in 1982 by Gomer Press is more of a historical gazetteer looking at the history of the various mines in the area including Amroth the rest of St Issells parish. However it is out of print. Maybe you can get a copy through the amzaon or abebooks. This second book looks more appropriate for you.

However, neither book will give much of a clue on the numbers of emigrees though nor on indvidual trades themselves.

Jon