Author Topic: John Snowden  (Read 5730 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: John Snowden
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 August 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
The local studies library in Nottingham is a very good place to start, the staff are very helpful. The local studies library at Mansfield has some Nottinghamshire parish records but not all, if it is easier for you to use that library I would check with them first if they have what you want.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
I have now got birth certificates for John South,bn Bothamsall April 1849, parents John South and Jane, formerly Godson & George Snowden, bn1848, Blidworth, parents George Snowden and Elizabeth (Gregory). It does seem, as suggested, that there must have been a change of name between 1851 & 61 from South to Snowden.
I am now doubting all my research as I have been going back relying on place of birth for George (1901 says Bothamsall, 1891 & 1881 says Houghton and Aughton Park which is adjacent to Bothamsall. 1871 can't find him and 1861, says Bothamsall. It is never recorded as Blidworth though.Maybe not the right tree after all. It's worse that Sudoko!

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Don't despair ...it's positive :)

You've proved that this George Snowden isn't yours. The George born Blidworth was alive and with his parents in 1861 ...and you have your George in that census. Thus it's looking increasingly as though they started off as South and the clutch of similar registrations for Snowden is a coincidence.

Bothamsall isn't the kind of birthplace to get confused with anything else, and I think you have to take his word for that one.

How you prove the connection between South and Snowden is a tricky one ...personally I'd be trying to track the siblings and see what else turns up e.g. Can you find marriages for any of them?

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 06 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Heather, I will go along those lines and see what I can find. I think I will spend some time in Worksop Library looking at some parish registers - it will also be a day out!

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
 I have found some evidence for the SNOWDEN / SOUTH confusion
In the Bothamsall Parish register - baptisms:-
June 20 1846. Eizabeth daughter of John and Jane Snowden. SNOWDEN is deleted and changed to SOUTH
17 Oct 1847 Ann daughter of John and Jane SOUTH
May 20 1848 George son of John and Jane SOUTH

This fits with the 1851 census when they are living in Bracebridge Worksop. (Haven't traced Mary and William as need the Walesby records)

Next children if we go by the 1861 Census are Sarah and Hannah but can only find Sarah and Hannah South bn to JOhn and Sarah SOUTH but Jane might be calling herself Sarah now! (bn right years)
Then back on track with records from Worksop Priory for
 Eliza South 6/04/51 daughter of John and Jane SOUTH  Cheapside Worksop
Sarah South 4/06/54 daughter of John and Jane SOUTH  GAteford Worksop
Hannah South 25/05/56 daughter of John and Jane SOUTH Gateford Worksop

Then it seems a name change back to SNOWDEN as in 1861 census.
Worksop Priory records
Emma Snowden  2/11/58 d of John and Jane SNOWDEN Shireoaks
John Snowden  16/12/60 s of John and Jane SNOWDEN Worksop

So it seems they might have changed name from South to Snowden briefly after getting married in 1842. Then changed name back to South in 1846 and back to Snowden in about 1858.

At least now I am sure I have the right George! Must follow this up by finding the Walesby records wherever they are and see if there are 2 older South children. Mary bn 1842 and William bn 1844

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Well done :) Isn't it amazing how a simple deletion can help it all make sense?!

Walesby records ....

Baptisms are transcribed on the IGI on familysearch. I don't know which libraries hold actual copies,  but I know that Nottinghamshire Archives has them on fiche. It's definitely worth looking at that marriage of John South and Jane Godson for further clues.

If you don't have enough research to justify a trip, the Archives can supply a photocopy for a very reasonable price. Or you could wait until I'm next there and I'd take a look for you.

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - you have really been a great help. Without the help from Rootschat I certainly would not have got this far. I will have a trip to Nottingham soon - another excuse for a day out - and see what I can find. Thanks for your offer of help. I will take it up if I can't find anything.

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have now got the marriage certificate (13/01/1842) of John South (later Snowden) 1820 - 1889 and Jane Godson. 1820 - 1899 Her father was Thomas Godson of Laxton who lived to be over 80! John had no father so looks like your theory of illigitimacy must be correct. Perhaps he found out who his father was.
On census of 1851 he said he was born in Lincoln and on all subsequent censuses, Walesby Notts.
There is a possible baptism, John South baptised 26 March 1820 St Botolph’s Lincoln. Mother Hannah South, no father.
I think that is about all I can do apart from some research related to Walesby. At least I am back to 1781 with Thomas Godson of Ossington.
Thanks very much Heather and other respondants.

Offline Kennethmar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have Snowdens in my tree on my wife's side.
If you are  still intrested,they are all from the Retford/Bawtry area.
Let me know
KenM
Martin.Kellett.Hardy. Lowe. Draper.Clifford.