Author Topic: Mossend Swifts Football Club  (Read 22913 times)

Offline cauther bairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mossend Swifts Football Club
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi , my great grandfather was robert Boyd who played for the swifts, I have one of his international
Caps and various of his medals. Be interested if any one has photos or any history about his football career. Also be interested in any history of the swift.

Thanks

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hello cauther bairn and welcome to Rootschat,

The Scottish Football Historian booklet No. 66 has an article on your Great Grandfather taken from the West Lothian Courier of 04 Jan 1890 - "Pen picture - Robert Boyd (Mossend Swifts)". The SFH also did an article on the Ellis brothers and another on the history of Mossend Swifts. Once you have reached 3 posts you will be able to use the PM facility. If you would like copies of these articles send me your e-mail address by private message and I will send them to you. I also have copies of various Courier match reports between 1887 and 1889 if you would like them.

Cheers,
Canisp.

Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline cauther bairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi canisp,

Any information you have would be much appreciated. I don't have much information on him at all. My father had a lot of family tree stuff but nothing on my gr grandfathers football career. The cap and medals are now in the football museum in Glasgow.(on loan). Once I get to grips with sending a pm I'll send you my email. The stuff you have will be brilliant.

Thanks 

Offline meadowbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
That is fascinating that you are descended from Robert Boyd. Do you have his dates of birth and death?

Offline siggah73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 September 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Contributors
I don't know what I might have got into here (if anything) but I believe the 3 Ellis brothers may be my great uncles.
My grandmother was Christina Ellis who attended Garvieside School, and I have a "Certificate of Merit" from the West Calder School Board (original document) for the school year ended 31 May 1883.
My grandfather was Thomas Anderson (don't know of middle names) and they had 6 children that I know of, including my father, (*), and they lived in Airdrie.
I grew up knowing I had uncles (great-uncles obviously) who played for Mossend Swifts and I have misty memories of seeing Ellis relatives during my young days in the 1960s, including 3 great-aunties who lived in East Kilbride.
Boy, if I could find out anything interesting out of this I would be thrilled.
Canisp, the Scottish Football Historian booklet would be of great interest and I would be happy to pay for a copy if one was available, or at least receive a scan copy of the article.
I left Scotland as an 18 yo in 1973 and now live in Australia with no contact whatsoever with any relatives.
Regards to all.

(*) Names removed to protect people's identity who may still be living.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Siggah73

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have taken off the name of your father from your post for now as it is not clear whether he may still be living.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline siggah73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 September 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for your welcome and for advising me of the "living persons" rule.
My father, who was born in Airdrie in 1912, passed away in 1996.
In a few months we will be celebrating his 100th.
Regards,
Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 September 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update, Tom  :)

Now that you have made a couple of posts here on the main board, you should be able to use the Private Message Service (PMs) if you need to be able to exchange personal emails with Canisp or another member.

Enjoy your time here!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 September 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Tom, I have sent you a PM.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)