Author Topic: Re: Shropshire bands 1860s  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire bands 1860s
« on: Monday 28 August 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have just found out my g.grandfather belonged to the St, Aulkmonds' Temperance Band, the first Shropshire Artillery Band and the band of the 7th Shropshire Rifles somewhere between 1864 and 1872.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction of some information about these bands at that time please?  I know its a 'big ask', but somehow this site seems to suggest that sometimes what might seem impossible just might be possible after all!!

Many thanks,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
hello Abby

a Mrs Wightman was the main inspiration behind the temperance movement in town.

What was your g.granfathers name?

s.g.d.

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 06 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi s.g.d.,

His name was Richard William Jones.  I knew he was a keen band member after he came to New Zealand, but have just found out he had supposedly been in these bands before he left England in 1872/73.  I wondered if there was any chance of finding out where these bands were based.  He was born in Much Wenlock and his known areas of residence were around that area and around Shrewsbury.

I'm not aware of any Wightman connection - yet!

Many thanks,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 12:38 BST (UK) »

Hello Abby

I have just phoned the curator of the Shropshire Regimental Museum, here in Shrewsbury.  He said few records survive of the Shropshire Rifles, and those that did survive would now be at the National Archives in Kew.  There are a small number of photographs at the museum, but the chance of identifying anyone is very remote.

The only other suggestion he had was to explore old local newspapers, which are held at the Shropshire Archives.

I did explain you were in New Zealand.........
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for doing that Jan and also for your comment on the other thread.

I'll put it on my 'to do' wish list when I visit next.  You have pointed me in the right direction and that makes a big difference.

I'm trying to 'flesh out' Richard, so thanks for your continuing help.

Abby
All to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 22:13 BST (UK) »

Your welcome.....and when you do visit please let me know as I would be more than happy to be your Shrewsbury guide ;D

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
That would be so great!

It certainly won't be in the immediate future but is on the priority wish list......

Thanks again Jan,
Abby
All to New Zealand