Author Topic: MACKENZIE & POLSON  (Read 15951 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
MACKENZIE & POLSON
« on: Friday 01 September 06 07:01 BST (UK) »

Can anyone help me find the marriage of Alexander Mackenzie to Ann Polson ?????

Could be Kildonan Helmsdale

I have their son Alexander born 1812  M  Jane Mackay Gordon also looking for this marriage their eldest child is Ann born 1835 Kildonan
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mackenzie and Polson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 06 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Aspin

I've found the marriage I think for Alexander Jnr and Jane McKay Gordon on IGI, actual extract from the OPRs:

ALEXANDER MCKENZIE  Marriages: Spouse: MCKAY GORDON    
Marriage:  10 JAN 1834  Loth, Sutherland, Scotland

This also looks like the birth of their first daughter Ann:

ANN MC KENZIE Birth: 06 NOV 1834  Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
Parents: Father: ALEXANDER MC KENZIE    Mother: MC_KAY GORDON

And these are some of their children:

1. JAMES MC KENZIE Birth: 26 NOV 1836 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
2. ISOBELLA MAC KENZIE Birth: 08 MAY 1842 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
3. ANN MC KENZIE Birth: 06 NOV 1834 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
4. MARGARET MC KENZIE Birth: 30 OCT 1838 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
5. MINA MC KENZIE Birth: 26 JAN 1845 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
6. JANET MC KENZIE Christening: 21 OCT 1840 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland

There are a couple of birth entries in Loth where only the father's details are given. I wondered if this could be relevant:

ALEXANDER MACKENZIE  Birth: 25 APR 1811  Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
Parents: Father: ALEXR. MACKENZIE

Other siblings perhaps with only father Alexander MacKenzie showing:

1. JAMES MC KENZIE  Birth: 21 OCT 1808 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
2. ROBERTA MC KENZIE Birth: 29 JAN 1816 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
7. FLORA MC KENZIE Birth: 04 OCT 1806 Loth, Sutherland, Scotland

The earliest parish register details I can see for Loth on IGI start in 1795 for Births and 1809 for Marriages. If we have the right family above, it may be one  of the potential reasons why Alexander Snr and Ann Polson's marriage doesn't show.

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: MACKENZIE & POLSON
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica

This is my family I am so grateful

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 06 19:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry Monica
 forgot to tell you They had 11 children I only had the christening dates When I,ve got a look at the papers I have

Elizabeth

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 09 00:59 BST (UK) »
I am interested to read this message as it is my family.

My great great great grandmother was Flora McKenzie, sister of Alexander McKenzie who is referred to here.
My research shows that Flora was born at Navidale on 4/10/1806, daughter of Alexander McKenzie and Catherine Polson who I estimate were married about 1804. She married my great great great grandfather James Polson in 1833.

James and Flora's son John Polson (b 1836), my great grandfather, came to New Zealand in 1864 with his sister Catherine Polson. Accompanying them, were James (b.1836)and Mina McKenzie (b 1845), children of Alexander McKenzie and Janet Gordon.

John Polson married Christina Ross here in NZ in 1868 but she was from West Helmsdale

The fact that they travelled to NZ is all I know about James and Mina McKenzie - they disappear into the mist except for a reference to "Jamie McKinzie'' (sic) in a letter my great grandmother Christina Ross wrote to her mother in 1878 where she mentions they (she and John) had had a letter from James and he was coming (to Central Otago) to visit them soon.

I am interested in any correspondence about his family
Adair

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Adair,

I have sent you a PM hope you can get back to me soon
I have Alexander McKenzie married to Ann Polson 1806 Alexander born 1786 and Ann b 1788 family
Flora b 04.10.1806
James 1801
Alexander 1811
Roberta 1816
Flora M James Polson 12.12.1833
Family
Murdock b 13.4.1835
John b 5.12.1836
Alexander b 1.8.1838
Ann n 1.1.1840
Catherine b 3.7.1841 and Janet b 23.1.1843
Does this look better have corrected my mistake sorry Marrel
I think there is a connection
Have a look at the thread Blue Jacket also about Christina I was trying to find how she sailed to New Zealand
Elizabeth

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I will get back to you with more detail shortly - have to shift a load of essay marking first!!.
However I can tell you that the children you have listed to Alexander Polson and Ann Polson do not belong to them. They are Flora mcKenzie and James Polson's children. John, born 1834, is my great grandfather.
Regards
Adair

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 08:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone connect to Isabella Polson who was born in Corag, Kildonan circa 1772. She married Donald Campbell of Halkirk Parish, Caithness on 25 Nov 1795. They moved to Latheron where I find her in the 1841 census, but she appears to have died pre-1851.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I will get back to you with more detail shortly - have to shift a load of essay marking first!!.
However I can tell you that the children you have listed to Alexander Polson and Ann Polson do not belong to them. They are Flora McKenzie and James Polson's children. John, born 1834, is my great grandfather.
Regards
Adair

Please look back I have corrected my mistake
Elizabeth