Author Topic: Frederick Norris - Electrician Ebbw Vale/Dowlais glam  (Read 1565 times)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frederick Norris - Electrician Ebbw Vale/Dowlais glam
« on: Thursday 04 November 04 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone possible help me.

I am looking for a Frederick Norris or information about him for this area.

I do not have a lot of information apart from I know he was an electrican in this area in approx 1923.  Born possibly between 1881-1901 - wish I could narrow it down a bit (nevermind).  A bit of a challenge I know

Not a lot to go on but worth a try.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Janet

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Norris - Electrician Ebbw Vale/Dowlais glam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 23:03 GMT (UK) »
As you included the year 1881, I took a look in the census. There were 3 Frederick Norris' listed one more probable than the others due to location:

Dwelling:   11 Omitted
   Census Place:   Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales
   Source:   FHL Film 1342271     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5283    Folio 12    Page 18
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Walter NORRIS   M   42    M   Cardiff
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Laborer
Mary NORRIS   M   34    F   Cardiff
   Rel:   Wife
   Occ:   Wife
Albert NORRIS   U   6    M   Cardiff
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Scholar
Mary NORRIS       3    F   Cardiff
   Rel:   Dau
Frederick NORRIS       2    M   Cardiff
Margret NORRIS       4 m   F   Cardiff
   Rel:   Dau

Do you know anything else about him?

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Here's the Fred* NORRIS's on 1891 Wales Census:

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 November 04 13:04 GMT (UK) »
This is the additional information that will tell you why I want to trace Fred Norris which also may help.

Mary Blodwen George (my grandmother) married Edwin Wilkins in Merthyr Tydfil in 1919 she was 28 and he was 24. At the time of the marriage Mary was residing at 34 Edwards Street Pant Dowlais.  The people residing there based on the available electoral records 1919-35 was Thomas Edwards and Annie Edwards.  This is the same surname as Mary’s mother who was Sarah Edwards - so may be a relation?

Sarah Edwards was born in Ysbytty in Cardiganshire and married Thomas George who was from Llanidloes but they got married in Pontypridd in 1884 and their address at the time was Llanwonno Porth.  Their first child (mary’s brother) was born in Porth in 1885.  They returned then to Llanidloes.

After Edwin Wilkins died we believe Mary must have stayed in the Ebbw Vale/Dowlais/Porth area as no one can place her back in Llanidloes until she was ill (she died of cancer in 1939).

We believe there was a family connection which we have yet to discover. 

In 1924 my father was born in a Mission of Hope nursing home in Streatham London.  We have recently accessed his files and the fathers name appeared on the admission form for Dad as Fred Norris (his name did not appear on Dad’s birth cert.  Also on the form was the fact that Marys father was deceased but her mother did not know that she was having my father, again not placing her in Llanidloes.

I can't find 34 Edward Street Dowlais on the 1901 census - any ideas on this I did find one Norris family in Ystradfodwg at 60 Charles Street who I know had a Fred Norris in 1902  LDS says 1901 but this is wrong.  Any ideas on a way forward

Janet

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 12:57 GMT (UK) »
QUOTED: The family came from Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire. The electoral register in Glamorgan for 1919-1935 shows a Thomas Edwards and Annie Edwards residing there.  Coincidentally this was her mothers maiden name as she was Sarah Edwards born in Ysbytty in 1864.

My first thought was this William you found on the electoral roll could be a brother of Sarah? So I looked on the 1881 census and found this: Keep it on file as this information may help you a little later on
1881 census:   
Dwelling:   Highgate Street
   Census Place:   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
   Source:   FHL Film 1342317     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5480    Folio 36    Page 11
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Hugh EDWARDS   M   50    M   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Lead Liner
Sarah EDWARDS   M   47    F   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
   Rel:   Wife
John EDWARDS       15    M   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
   Occ:   Wool Sorter Apprentice
Thomas EDWARDS       12    M   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
Sarah J. EDWARDS       7    F   Llanidloes, Montgomery, Wales
   Rel:   Daur

But I know that this Sarah was probably too young to then marry in 1884!

In the Wales region in 1881, there were only 3 Frederick Norris's listed:

NORRIS, Fredk. Wm.   Son   <1862>   Birth:   Devo   Torquay
   Census:   Glam   Llandaff
NORRIS, Frederick   Son   <1865>   Birth:   Wilt   Chippenham
   Census:   Monm   Bedwellty
NORRIS, Frederick   Son   <1879>   Birth:      Cardiff
   Census:   Glam   Llandaff

I think you will have problems narrowing down your search for him in the timeframe you are after simply due to his occupation. This would have been a common occupation and a town / Village will be needed to try to find out anything about him.

Have you thought about Trade directories? even then though a Town or Village will be needed.

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 04 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen

Thanks for your time gratefully appreciated, but I do not think the Edwards in Llanidloes are related.

I know looking for Fred Norris is difficult - I wish I had more to go on so it is a challenge. 

Thanks anyway

Regards

Janet