Author Topic: Question about Pallot's Marriage Index  (Read 1549 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Question about Pallot's Marriage Index
« on: Saturday 02 September 06 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the Pallot's Marriage Index which I hope someone may be able to help me with.

I accessed the index through Ancestry.co.uk. I searched for the name PICKIS (exact spelling) and there were 2 results.
One of these two results was for Emma PICKIS m. Richd KEPFORD (Sic. usually KEFFORD). Emma was the aunt of my ancestor Catherine so this made sense.
The second result was as follows:
Name: Pickis Pickis
Spouse: Pick Pick
This intrigued me, so I viewed the original card image.
The card said:

"Pickis , cp. Pick
Pickas"

and nothing else. 

???

(cp. is unclear and I'm not sure what it says, ep.? sp.?)

I'm confused about what this means.
I'm very interested in any references to the name PICKIS  and would love to understand what this entry in the Index refers to.

The name PICKAS (exact spelling) gave no results. PICK (exact spelling) gave 174 results one of which was:
Name: Pick Pick
1788 St. George Hanover Square
with no spouse name

I'm searching for the marriage of my 4th great grandparents Robert Paul PICKIS and Elizabeth (unknown maiden name). Robert was a Carpenter/Joiner and they were married some time before 1822 probably in London, but possibly in Durham or Northumberland

Any help would be most appreciated  :)
Thanks,
Aillin,
Australia

Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Pallot's Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 06 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Aillin

Unfortunately my puter is playing up so I can't load the relevant image!

However, my guess is that "cp" (actually "cf"?) is shorthand for "compare".

Bear in mind that Pallots Marriage Index is precisely that - a card index of marriage register entries.

The card you are referring to probably alerts the researcher to alternative spellings. I think you'll find similar cards elsewhere in the index.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Pallot's Marriage Index
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this advice Dave  :)
Regards,
Aillin,
Australia
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk