Author Topic: Anne HEISON m. 1748, Hanmer  (Read 15613 times)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anne HEISON m. 1748, Hanmer
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 January 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Just my thinking and there are several Ann(e) Elsons born in the 19th century in the general area. I would also have thought the unusual surname unlikely in rural England/Wales without having others in the country!

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 January 07 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm certain it is written Heison - this is not just my interpretation but quite a few others over the last 2 years or so. I, personally, don't really think that anyone would confuse the pronounciation of  Heison/Heeson/Easson/etc. with Elson/etc. but I will investigate.

Thanks for the input.

I'm still looking for Heison/Heeson/Eason  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 January 07 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I agree how it looks but living in Stoke-on-Trent you get used to the letter 'h' coming and going in conversation!!

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 January 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Lets cast our minds back here. We have the vicar or parish clerk of Hanmer (English part of Flint- Shropshire over the water). Now would this person confuse someone called Elson or Helson - reasonably common as you found close by in Cheshire, Peter - with a very uncommon name like Heison?  I don't think so. These people were also literate.

It is very clearly written - 'H', the funny squiggly 'e' also repeated in the 'ees'  in Lee, a definitely dotted 'i', etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 January 07 18:07 GMT (UK) »
It is not the Vicar or Parish clerk who is the problem but the person providing the information. Certainly a very high percentage of my relatives who I have traced back to even the later 19th century were illiterate ( they are all Welsh so I am not sure how much difference that makes!!!) and you will know form your own experience how names have been changed over the years.

Anyway the main point is to find them and I hope at least my thoughts will provide you another direction to try. I do not know of course if your relative signed the register or book if they were required to do so.

I will keep trying to think of alternatives but I am sure you will have covered most if not all of the ground and that is really why I made the slightly wilder suggestion.

Best wishes

Peter
plus
& more

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 January 07 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter  :)

The Hanmer registers are a sorry sight for that time. Lovely Paul has promised to inspect them with a fine tooth comb  :)

I've decided to write up some stuff about the social context of the pair and their family/connections which might enable me and anyone else who's interested to delve deeper into this strangeness.

I'll post it here when I've finished.

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 29 January 07 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Whilst we may think that the Hanmer Parish Registers are a sorry sight  for that time,we are fortunate that they are in any sort of condition after the fire.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 29 January 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
However, William, you have missed the account of the fire, quoted on Genuki http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hanmer/

where it says:
Canon Lee, at the imminent risk of his life, wrapping damp sheets around his mouth to stay the suffocating fumes, rushed into the Church, and proceeding to the vestry, obtained the registers, and returned with them unscathed, amid loud cheers................Despite the heroic actions of Canon Lee, two sets of information were lost in the fire of 1889; namely marriages 1787 - 1813, and burials 1784 - 1813.

Let's here it for Canon Lee

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 29 January 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes I read the account,it is included iin the Genuki page for Hanmer.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk