Author Topic: Pre 1837 BDM  (Read 1295 times)

Offline FadedKnight

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pre 1837 BDM
« on: Thursday 04 November 04 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've traced my fathers direct line back to 1809 through various sites and census returns.

I believe I've fourn my GGG grandfather's baptism on the IGI, which gives a date of 19 Nov 1809. This ties up with all the other evidence I've collected and give my GGGG grandfather's name. The site has this information - I do not know what it is for - is it something I can order?

C051281  1538 - 1837  0916853   Film  0933231   Film 

As a beginner I now need some advice as to what to do next.

I've ordered the 1841 census CD covering Knowestone in Devon, but that has yet to arrive. I'm hoping it might have my GGGG grandfather's age and place of birth - but beyond this I'm quite stuck. I've bought a few books and read some sites, and know I need to find parish records, but where are they? Do I need to go to Devon and if so what am I looking for? None of the books I have really go into much detail.

How do I go about getting actual certificates for any event pre 1837?

A slightly separate note - I cannot find a record ofr my gg grandfather's birth. I have him in the 1851, 71, 81 and 1901 census, but cannot find him on 1837 or freebmd. A couple of people on other boards have also said they cannot find and entry and the birth probably wasn't registerd. This isn;t stopping me from going back any further as I have other evidence and have his fathers' baptism (see above - soory this is quite a long post).

Does it matter that I cannot find his birth records, can I get a birth certificate from a parish source, and can I legitimately use the census data to state whom his father is (I'm concered that he could be iligitimate). The info I have is he was Henry Chapple born 1850 in Knowestone Devon, to Thomas Chapple and Mary.

I'll stop there - thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light on any aspect fot this for me.
Devon: Chapple, Snow
Cork: Ford
Gloucestershire: Pilling, Brice, Cook, Kirby, Phipps, Lacey, Lines

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1837 BDM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi FadedKnight,
You sound as confused as I did when I started all this ;)  I'll try and answer some if not all of your questions and I'm sure SKS (just found out that means Some Kind Soul) will add to it.
A good place for you to start is to study and surf the GENUKI Devon page 
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/  It will give you good guidance.  Another tip is to post your name interests and look-up requests on the DEVON page of Rootschat.
The numbers from the IGI are reference numbers of where the information is stored, so keep them.
The 1841 census information is pretty basic.  Usually the ages are rounded down to the nearest 5 years.  So if it states age 50, he could be anywhere between 50 & 54.  Relationships to each other in a household are not recorded and place of birth is recorded as 'were you born in this county?  answer yes or no.
Most parish records for anywhere are housed in the local History centre for that county, but LDS centres have copies as do some central family history centres in London.  Someone can jump in here and list them as I'm not familiar with them.
There are no certificates for pre 1837, only entries in parish records.
Don't worry too much about not having your gggrandfather's birth record, if everything else tallies just proceed until such time as evidence presents itself, it usually does!
What makes you think he was illigitimate?
Happy Hunting.  Before you know it you'll be helping someone else whose new!
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 04 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to expand on the LDS numbers. The first C051281 is the batch number. This will contain birth (christening) records in the parish of knowstone, Devon for the dates specified. If you click on this number, it will return the search screen with the batch included. If you then insert your gggg grandfathers surname in the surname field you can display ALL people of the same name from this parish. Very handy if looking for sibblings, children, parents etc (provided they didn't move parishes!).

The next number is the film number. If you click on this you will get the library details for what is on the film. Your film contains 2 parishes - Knowstone and Landkey. If you find your local LDS Centre you can visit and order this film & look for BDM information for all your family members. The deaths aren't indexed on the IGI, so looking at film is the usual way to find them.

Enjoy the searching
Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FadedKnight

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 November 04 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both of you. I finally got the 1841 CD and it had some useful info on it. It tied up with some of the other Chapples on the IGI and that helped identify another 3 siblings for my ggg grandfather. So that's been very helpful.

FK.
Devon: Chapple, Snow
Cork: Ford
Gloucestershire: Pilling, Brice, Cook, Kirby, Phipps, Lacey, Lines