Author Topic: William Bell strathmerton Forfarshire  (Read 1313 times)

Offline joanna21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bell strathmerton Forfarshire
« on: Saturday 02 September 06 18:44 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the marriage date of Wiliam Bell born Strathmerton c1814 and Catherine Wilson born c.1818. I think they married in Liff and Benvie in about 1846. I would be interested if anyone knew where Catherine had been from. I assume Liff and Benvie.

bervonian

Re: William Bell strathmerton Forfarshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 06 19:17 BST (UK) »
The I.G.I. shows the birth of a William Henry Bell on 13 Aug 1814, Dundee, the parents being Alexander Bell and Ann Ruthven Leven.
According to an entry submitted by an LDS member William and Catherine were married on 9 Jan 1846 at Liff and Benvie.  Catherine may be the person who was baptised on 1 Oct 1818 at Liff Benvie and Invergowrie.  The mother's name is not given, but the father is James Wilson.

Bervonian.

Offline joanna21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much! How wonderful..that has helped me a great deal. Very much appreciated.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

just read your query re William Bell.

Catherine Wilson, daughter of James Wilson and Helen Elder was born 8 October 1818, in Liff and Benvie. She marries William Bell on 11 January 1846 in Longforgan, but the marriage is also registered in Dundee. William Bell is a farmer, and in 1851 he is farming 160 acres and employing 5 labourers at the Carmichael Farm in Longforgan.

William and Catherine have 4 children, 3 sons, James born 25 April 1847, William, born 25 December 1848 and Peter born 1854 and Ellen (Helen) born 21 September 1851). The 3 oldest children are born in Longforgan and the youngest, Peter, in Liff and Benvie. Catherine and William disappear from the records after 1854 and in 1861 the grandfather James Wilson appears to be looking after the children.

By then James is a retired farmer and his address in Liff and Benvie is “Anderson’s Ld” and (what looks like) “Wilson’s Boy”. (Note: Balgay estate in Dundee used to belong to Anderson.) Living with James are his daughter Margaret, the 4 grandchildren, James, William, Ellen and Peter, and a domestic servant.

I'm kind of related to the Wilson side, Catherine being a cousin to my husband's great grandfather.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire