Author Topic: Dorset Parish Registers - Poole area  (Read 4346 times)

Offline jacpam

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Dorset Parish Registers - Poole area
« on: Monday 16 February 04 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone on this section of the forum is local to Poole and would be in a position to search the archives on the parish registers for that area.    I have traced ancestors back to that area, and very conveniently they all seem to have been organised about registered births and christenings - all carried out at the one church (Skinner Street Independent in Poole).
I have been researching the names Lance and Snelgar, so if anyone lives in that area and could help I would be very grateful.
At the same time, if anyone knows Poole, I wonder if they could confirm whether or not the United Reform Church which is now listed as being in Skinner Street is actually on the site of the "Skinner Street Independent" mentioned in the archives I hae been researching.
Many thanks in advance
Jacki
Researching BOSTLE, PAMFLETT, ZOLLER, SEWELL, SNELGAR, PARTRIDGE, RANDOLPH

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Dorset Parish Registers - Poole area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 04 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you tried this site:

http://www.dorset-opc.com/

The Dorset Online Parish Clerk:

An Online Parish Clerk (OPC) researches all  the available historical data they can find on a parish,  records are transcribed, and in order to promote further private research, are made FREELY available to any researcher. This will include census, parish transcripts, bishop's transcripts and churchwardens accounts, overseers accounts, land tax records, postal directory extracts, church & village histories, etc. An OPC is a volunteer and should not be confused with the civil Parish Clerk appointed by a Parish Council.

There are about 275 parishes in Dorset and so far we have some data online for 200 of them, with OPC's covering 128 of these parishes.

They may be able to help you,
Good Luck,
Kazza. :D
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline jacpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Dorset Parish Registers - Poole area
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 04 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks - in fact I did have a look at that site - I'll go back and investigate further
Jacki

Offline alison2106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Parish Registers - Poole area
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 04 10:29 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware the United Reformed Church in Skinner Street is on the same site as the Independent. My Gran got married there (and still lives opposite it), she is 92.

I go the the Museum in Poole which has a Family History section and do searches on the parish records from time to time and I will look out for the names you are looking for. At the moment I am transribing the 1841 Poole St James census.

Regards
Alison2106

Offline jacpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 October 04 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison - many thanks for your post of yesterday.   If you do have time to have a look for my Lance or Snelgar family members, it would be very much appreciated.  I know that William Lance Snelgar was born and christened in Poole in 1832, and I believe his parents were John Snelgar and Elizabeth Lance (?b. 1804) - they possibly married in 1829.   
Any help most gratefully received.
Regards
Jacki

Offline gra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 04 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Poole   20  Jan 1829   SNELGAR   John      LANCE   Elizabeth      Banns   witnesses LANCE Wm. & Sarah

Offline jacpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 04 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, much appreciated
Jacki