Author Topic: BENTOT/BENTOTE or BENNETOT. completed  (Read 3101 times)

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BENTOT/BENTOTE or BENNETOT. completed
« on: Wednesday 06 September 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone with this name descended from the Huguenots. Jean Bennetot arrived here approx 1724 from Normandy
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline huguenot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BENTOT/BENTOTE or BENNETOT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 01:13 BST (UK) »
What is your connection with Jean Bennetot? I believe he died circa 1740. Most Bentotes are descended from John Bentote who was bought to England as a child and married in 1763.

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
You are right Huguenot, Jean-Baptiste Bentote died in November 1740. he was married to another huguenot Ann Attanville. Their son Jean (known as John) was born 1737 at spitalfields. He had three daughters and two sons. One daughter, Elisabeth, married my GGG grandfather Robert Lovell.
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline huguenot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
According to the Huguenot hospital records the John Bentot who married Mary Fuller in 1763 was 'brought from France'. There was a Jean Baptiste Bennetot born in Bolbec, Normandy to Philippe Bennetot and Marie Marthe Igout on 12th December 1738. It would appear that he was brought to England by persons other that his parents as there is a descendant from Phillippe and Marie still living in Bolbec.

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have heard this from another source, so it would appear that mine is another branch. The following information came from a French couple and is self explanitory.

I'have asked Pasteur Vatinel to help you and he say that the father of your John Bentot is born in Bolbec in 1705 and dead in London.
His son is born in 1737 in London. Look at ...

Jean Baptiste BENNETOT 10 B 84  ° b Bolbec 19 février 1705  mort à Londres 1740 réfugié en Angleterre  fait reconnaissance à Londres (Threadneedlestreet] 1724  épouse à Londres (Saint-Jean Spitalfields) 26 12 1725 Anne ATTANVILLE ° Londres 1701  morte à Londres (Hôpital français  ) 18 11 1775  fille de ? HATTENVILLE 3 H 42  dont :

1)     Jean BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields  2 10 1725

2)     Marie-Marthe BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields   8 2 1730

3)     Anne BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields  1 10 1732

4)     Jean BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields  15 2 1736

5)     Jean BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields  5 2 1737

6)     Marie Marthe BENNETOT ° Londres  b Saint-Jean Spitalfields  28 1 1740

What do you think about ?

Cordialement

S.Cantais

Offline ElaineMcGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BENTOT/BENTOTE or BENNETOT. completed
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching Mary Ann Bentot(e) born around 1796 in Bethnal Green (according to the census of 1841.  She married James Corss in 1828.  I cannot find any record of her birth, but am assuming that she would be the daughter of John Bentot and Rachel Gogay as their daughter Rachel Mary Bentot was born in Bethnal Green in 1798.  Any thoughts greatly received.

Thank you

Elaine x

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Elaine,
I know a little about the Bentot family, being related. John or Jean Bentot was born in 1736, brother to Jean Baptiste Bentot born 1705 in Bolbec Normandy. I know that he married Rachel Gogay and had a son William but I don't know about Mary Ann. Another of his brothers born 1737 married mary Fuller and their daughter married my 6th Gt Grandad. hope this is of some help.   Norman

Offline ElaineMcGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norman,

thank you.  I don't suppose I shall ever find out where this Mary Ann fits in, I shall have to look hard at the births of the other Bentot children around that time and see if she could fit in between any births.  But I do think she must be related, right place, right time.

Elaine x