Author Topic: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.  (Read 54609 times)

Offline Darkmyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
I worked at Churchill's as an apprentice fitter in 67 then went into the pattern shop. My farther and brother also worked there. My farther was over the maintenance dept and on the door there was a sign saying "impossibilities while you wait, miracles take a little longer.
As a child i want to the Christmas party's and also used to go over the road to the club and watch the boles of a dinner time. The hooter mentioned  in earlier posts, Yes was VERY loud as my bench in the training room was below one of them lol. If you where in the training section does anyone remember Sid Vost sadly no longer with us, He ran this section.

Offline geoffwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
It's really good to hear about the factories in Broadheath, my stepfather also worked at Record, his name was John Griffths. My dad was called Thomas (Tommy) Murray, he worked there from about 1947 until he was made redundant in the late sixties.

Jac
hello my name is Geoff Wood i worked with Tommy Murray for five years as an apprentice and became very fond of him got lots of great memories worked on nights with him at one time and when on days he always drove me to the tilghmans canteen for lunch heard so many amazing stories of his time in the Merchant Navy saw him in hospital just before he passed away remember being very sad ,best wishes GW. My Email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 November 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Geoff,

How great to hear from someone who knew my lovely Dad! He used to tell us stories about his apprentices too. Do you remember one called Trevor Clark? he was my boyfriend whilst he was working with my Dad, and was terrified of upsetting him. Dad used to pretend he was rubbish  just to annoy me.

If you make another two posts, you can then use the Personal  Message facility to exchange messages privately and give me your e-mail address.    Jac

PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline geoffwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 November 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
hello jac,what a moment when i read your mail,i have very vivid memories of my whole time at Richards and the last 2 years at Kearns i have had a degree of success and been lucky in my career having owned my own company TECFLO LTD for the last 25years,but as i have told my family many times my time at Broadheath was and remains where i have spent the happiest time of what is becoming a long working life.i started their in August 62 leaving in December 69 . i remember your dad so well when i started he was on permanent nights but that changed and when he came onto days i got to work with him and as i said at one time him and i with our labourer  Henry ( a good freind of your dads) on nights ,we did,nt do much work and slept most of the nights woken by the production superintendant only when a machine had broken down ,i remember him buying his Morris Oxford green from i think White City Motors he let me drive him it to the canteen with the three of us what a treat for a young boy , i,m sorry i would have knpwn Trevor by sight only if he was an apprentice at the same time he must have been in the works he was not in maintenance i was the first maintenance apprentice electrician  what a privilage!, i have lots to say of my memories but hope most will keep for me to send them privately. Best wishes Geoff

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 December 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Geoff,

It's just great to hear from you who knew Dad so well. I was only about 24 when he died, and I missed him so much for many years. I always felt sad that he never knew my children, although he did see me get married in 1967.

Do you still live locally, or if not, have you been to Altrincham recently? I live in Sale now, and if Mum & Dad saw what they've done to Alty, they'd be horrified. I look at the Trafford website, at the old pictures and it's amazing what memories it brings back. It's a really good resource for local historians.

Jac
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline bigbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 March 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
My Uncle, Charles Trigg, worked as a designer at Geo Richards from the late 30's right up until they merged with H W Kearns in the late 1960's. I remember he had a couple of lathes in his garage at Raglan Drive, Timperley. Apparently he designed and built them himself as apprentice 'test pieces'. My grandfather, Ernest Collins, worked as a turner (later as a chargehand) at Kearns from before WW1 until the 1950's. He gave us a pack of playing cards which had a picture of a large horizontal boring machine on the backs. Around 1970, as a student, :) I worked briefly in the stores of the Manufacturing Systems Unit which was set up by Staveley Industries (Kearns Richards' parent company) to assemble some large vertical millimg machines for the Rolls Royce RB211 engine project. This was in the former Geo Richards 'high bay' with an entrance in Craven Road. The rest of the Richards factory had been taken over by Tilghmans (dust extraction engineers). The stores job was a bit of a 'cushy number' - I think the manager liked students so he let us do what we wanted really. It seems that most people who lived in Altrincham over these years knew at least one person who worked for these firms.

Offline Rimella09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 April 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi - I was wondering if anybody remembers my dear Grandfather Henry Merrell and his son Fred who both worked at Kearns Richards between 1950 and 1983?

Offline OkyBrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
The Fred Merrill I remember lived on St Marks Ave. kept whippets and was a great goalkeeper.

Offline Rimella09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 August 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks 'OkyBrow', yes, that is my Dad you are talking about!  Thanks for your reply, it was very nice to see it on here.  Did you work at Kearns or are you from 'the Brow'?