Author Topic: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.  (Read 54610 times)

Offline OkyBrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Yes I used to live on the Brow and played football for Seamons Moss along side your dad. He was very agile and pulled off some really great saves. If memory serves me Fred had a few trials with some well known teams. I worked at Tilghmans and then George Richards 1957 through to the demise of engineering in Broadheath. I did work at Churchills for a short time but that was when jobs down Atlantic St. were plentyful,and if you were a time served engineer.
ATB

Offline Rimella09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 August 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello again, that is very interesting, I have just spoken to my Dad, he said he is going to get one of his old Seamons Moss football photographs out and have a look to see if he can see who you may be.  It is quite unbelieveable to see Atlantic Street for example, how it is now, to how I remember it myself back in the seventies even, it is very sad indeed, typical of the majority of this country now I would say when it comes to industry and real and plentiful jobs as you say.  Best regards and thank you for the reply.

Offline perthnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 December 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
My Uncle Albert Hammond worked there too for many yrs ,he was the longest serving heart transplant patient from wythenshawe hos too , he sadly passed away last yr but he enjoyed every day at churchills /kearns and richards .....i only came to google this as where i work in Perth Australia i asked someone to sharpen my chisel and while waiting in the mainteance roon i noticed an old Churchills machine , im sorry but i got a bit emotional as Albert and i use to go out twice a week and he would tell me stories about kernes /churchills ect ...but this machine ,in Oz actually had Noar was here on it , i was looking for datews and the guy told me it was at least 50 yr old ...i was born in Broadheath , lived there and know Alty so well but Oz was calling for me and the children .... :)

Offline Rimella09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
If it is the Albert Hammond I am thinking of, my late Grandad knew him well - does he have a brother called Brian? 

Offline six-h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 April 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Just in case Darkmyst is still receiving notifications, I would like to say thanks for the mention of my much loved dad!

Offline Darkmyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Yes i am still hanging in here, your dad interviewed me for my apprenticeship at Churchill's, and my brother before me. He knew my Farther very well, Harold Sadler, and my mum Audrey, sadly no longer with us. I have a slide somewhere of Sid with some apprentices and my brother also called Harold, or Anthony stood in front of a car outside the maintenance dept, think it was something to do with the duke of Edinburgh's award (i think) Sid always looked after us, and i still remember him well. He wasn't someone to be crossed, and you rarely did, but what a nice man.  :)

Offline six-h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 April 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Darkmyst, good to hear that he looked after you guys too, he was my best pal.
No idea where I've put those slides but when I find 'em, I'll post them here...eventually.  ;D

Offline perthnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 April 12 04:56 BST (UK) »
If it is the Albert Hammond I am thinking of, my late Grandad knew him well - does he have a brother called Brian? 

his brothers are Jack,Ken,Harry....and sisters Anna and June ....lived near the Moss Trooper and Gardeners Arms Timperley

Offline OkyBrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 April 12 07:13 BST (UK) »
Just a few words to all interested I have come across a book titled `Famous for a Century` by Curtis Sparks. It is all about the machine tool industries in and around Atlantic St. since 1900 to now. George Richards, Kearns, Churchills, Record Electric, Linotype, Budenbergs and a host of the smaller engineering firms that Broadheath was famous for (Clare Collets, Baldwin & Francis, Charles Madan, etc ) The book is quite large and full of photos of machines working and being assembled and lots of workers with and without names.
Anyway enough of my prattle.