Author Topic: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.  (Read 54612 times)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Even more details at

http://www.a2a.org.uk/html/124-g13.htm

Happy hunting.

Nick
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Offline amk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 08 13:27 GMT (UK) »
i left school in 1967 and went to work at churchills as an apprentice when they closed it in late 67 early 68 we could have gone to churchills in coventry to finish our apprenticeships some did,i ended up at luke and spencers where B & Q is now on atlantic street

Offline mac g

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 09 03:45 BST (UK) »
I left school in'64 and went straight into the 'ATD' at George Richards. When let loose in to the factory, I was installed in the horizontal boring section, run by a True Gent by the name of Alec Ellis. When the hammer fell in '67, I (still being an apprentice) was supposed to move over into the Kearns factory, but I left then and started at the Churchill Machine Tool Co. I stayed until late '69 when I  went to Kearns and finished my apprenticeship. In 1973, The Ingersoll-Rand company had moved into the old 'Metropolitan-vickers transformer plant in Baguley. I mention this because it's workforce comprised mostly of ex-Broadheath engineers that moved on from the joining of Richards and Kearns in '67. I joined Ingersoll-Rand in '75, and over the next few years with the not so gradual winding down of the activites in Broadheath the shopfloor at I-R was a mix of Richards,Kearns, Churchill and Linotype. 45 years on, still Horizontal Boring and working with an ex-Kearns Borer . I've remembered a few names from the past, (in no particular order) -: Jimmy Eccles, Cliff Binder, Neville Thomason (stubbins!) Horace Heale, Ned Brownhill, Ken Pearson, Ken Naylor, Vic Youle,Ronnie Thomason, Fred Matley To name A few as they say......

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 July 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
My dad was a foreman at a foundry in Atlantic Street that used to make moulds for Kearns, Richards and Churchills.  I don't remember the name of the firm, but I do know that the boss sold the factory to Luxiproducts which made carrycots etc.

With the encouragement of the other workers my dad persuaded a friend of his who was a builder and had an office down there, to add three sides and a roof to the office and then he started his own business employing the other men.  I think it was called Broadheath Castings.  Anyone remember that?  I have a photograph somewhere of some of the workers.  I'll go and find it now and post it on here.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 July 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
OK, I've got 3 photographs.   The largest one shows my dad on the left and the couple who owned the original foundry, which I think was called Singletons, with the men who worked there.

The other two photographs are of the men who worked for my dad after he started Broadheath Castings to keep them in work.  I know neither my dad nor the other men were happy that the previous boss had sold the business over their heads and not even kept it as a foundry, meaning they were all out of work.  This was about 1953/4 from memory.  I think my dad eventually sold up (possibly to Churchills) around 1965/6.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 July 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
And the third one.

Lizzie

ps.  Does anyone recognize any of the workers?

Offline Yvonica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
My dad worked at George Richards too - he was a fitter there and later moved over to Kearns.  He then moved to Budenburg Tool & Gauge which was also in Broadheath but down another street - near the ice rink.  I also worked on Atlantic Street at Record Electrical.  I remember Atlantic Street well - walking past Luke & Spencer on the corner and smelling the bakelite every morning.  Not been back to Atlantic Street in ages as I emigrated.

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It's really good to hear about the factories in Broadheath, my stepfather also worked at Record, his name was John Griffths. My dad was called Thomas (Tommy) Murray, he worked there from about 1947 until he was made redundant in the late sixties.

Jac
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline Yvonica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 July 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jac, I worked at Record from 1966 till early 70's.  I worked in the Buying Office there.  Sorry don't recognise your stepfathers name - I was only a junior when I was there.  :-(