Author Topic: Matthews of Dundee 1871 Census help please.  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews of Dundee 1871 Census help please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Just noticed someone posted the 1881, I had just found them too in the 1881 on Scotland People!!

Betty

Offline DianeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jeannie McCulloch Walker 1882-1927
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 September 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all this information.  This morning I have been searching for the older James and margaret in the 1851 Census.  I thought I was on to something.  In the search for James age 18-41, there was: age 36, Dundee 181/00 040/00 019
and for Margaret age 17 - 35 there was: age 22, Dundee 181/00 040/00 018. 

I thought by the numbers that they might be one after the other on the census page, but this was not so.

What actually do these numbers tell?

Now I realize that they were most likely not in Dundee at all.

Thanks for your help.

DianeM
Slorance - one name study worldwide
Frankham - Gloucestershire
Matheson - N. Uist, Invernesshire
Matthew - Dundee, Scotland
Shiel - Hawick, Scotland
Walker - Glasgow, Scotland
Condon - Ireland, Blackburn, Birmingham, Lancaster
Day - London
Hart - Devises, Wiltshire > London
Warren - Warminster Wiltshhire >Frome, Somerset > London
Peagam -
White - London

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane,

If you searched on Scotlands people for these births, then the numbers are what you need to order the actual certificate from Scotlands people, if they are something else then not sure but birth certificates and marriage certiificates cost £7 each.

Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 September 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
I think I've found Margaret and sons in Ballingray, Fife in 1861:

Margaret, 44 b. seamstress, Midlothian
Robert, 13 b. Fife
James, 11, b. Fife
Archibald, 9, b. Fife
Alexander, 5, b. Dundee

Margaret is showing as a widow.

Do you think that Margaret's mother's surname is Cock (from Margaret's death cert)? Only one entry in Midlothian for 1810-30 on IGI for the birth of a Margaret with parents Robert and Mary:

MARGARET PATERSON  Christening:  13 JUN 1813  Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Parents: Father: ROBERT PATERSON  Mother: MARY COCK    

You're right to look at the GRO refs when doing census searches for more that one name. It's not a 100% but if the number is the same, what this tells you is that at least they are on the same page and there is some chance that they might be in the same household (that's how I found the Margaret and sons above in 1861!). In respect of your example above, the last two number sets 18 and 19 refer to the pages. Sometimes for a household, the entries are over two pages (and you have to view both to get all the info which is a pain). Again, the GRO refs are a guide only, and whilst a very useful one for discounting lots of entries, at the end of the day you still have to view to verify.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jeannie McCulloch Walker 1882-1927
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica.  I'm sure this is the family.  I have no clues in any of the later family to hint that Cock is her maiden name, but everything else matches. The spelling of Paterson and the first son being named Robert is a good indication too.

This is great too as I now have more of the siblings and know that the father died before 1861.  So much information out there!

ElizabethI, the Matthew family I found that looked like a real possibility on the 1851 Census, the 018 ad 019 must have been consecutive pages, and the one I looked was in the middle of page 018, so I didn't bother to view the next page.

Thanks again for both your help.

DianeM
Slorance - one name study worldwide
Frankham - Gloucestershire
Matheson - N. Uist, Invernesshire
Matthew - Dundee, Scotland
Shiel - Hawick, Scotland
Walker - Glasgow, Scotland
Condon - Ireland, Blackburn, Birmingham, Lancaster
Day - London
Hart - Devises, Wiltshire > London
Warren - Warminster Wiltshhire >Frome, Somerset > London
Peagam -
White - London

Offline MANDYNZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi DianeM

James and Margaret Matthew were my GG/Grandparents, we have been doing extensive family history research for over 20 years now and it's not until the last five or so years that we have established the Matthew family details.

James Paterson Matthew was born about 1850 in Port George , Inverness-shire as recorded on his marriage certificate, or Markinch recorded on the census records and Margaret.
James and Margaret married in St Clemens parish, Dundee Scotland 6 Dec 1872. James was a millwright journeyman and Margaret a power loom weaver in the same Jute factory this suggests that they met while working there.
The marriage certificate records that theirs was a civil marriage, probably because the couple already had a 5 month old daughter Jemima, rather than a religious ceremony, it was performed at 49 Castle Street.
Margaret is listed on her wedding certificate as living (perhaps with her adoptive parents, David and Anne Ross, nee Rollo) at 7 Castle Court. James' home was listed as 19 Dunhope Cres, Dundee.
They were to live in a variety of addresses over the years to come, once even relocating to Barrow-in-Furness in Lancashire, England for a few years, perhaps a reflection of their need to find work and their poverty.
James and Margaret had nine (poss 10) children
1 - Jemima born 22 July 1872 (while living in 17 Lawrence St, Dundee)
2 - Margaret Paterson was also born there in 6 Sept 1873 England (died before any later census)
3 - William Johnston born 16 Sept 1874 England (my G/Grandfather) killed in action 9 April 1917 in France and Flanders WW1
4 - Jesse Grey born June 1877 Barrow-in-Furness England Died 1918 40Y
5 - Margaret (Maggie) born January 1879 Cotton Road, Dundee
6 - Alexander (?) born 1881 (3 months old 1883 does not show on the next census)
7 - Archibald Paterson born 23 May 1882 16 Lyon Street, Dundee - Died in Melbourne Australia 12/01/1939
8 - James T born 1887 Died in Australia (?)
9 - Mary-Anne born 1890 Died unknown date
10 - Nellie 1892 Died unknown date

We have loads of other information on the Matthew family if you want anymore, so I hope this clarifies some dates, names and places for you.

William Johnson Matthew married Joan Slorance Shiel 18 Mar 1905 and went on to have six children, one being James Archibald Paterson Matthew my grandfather killed in action 22 May 1940 in Belgium WW2
He had two daughters the eldest was my mother emigrated to New Zealand 1949 died 23/03/16

Kind Regards and I hope this helps you in your search
Mandy