Author Topic: Priscilla Lee from Hartlepool  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Priscilla Lee from Hartlepool
« on: Thursday 07 September 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have information about a Priscilla Lee born about 1850 in Hartlepool. I have her on the 1881 census married to George Thompson living in Stockton but would love to find more information about her.

She was from a Romany family. Married George in 1869 in Thornaby, and I think divorced or was widowed and married someone else, possibly a Maugham/n.

Thanks

Julia

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Priscilla Lee from Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 06 17:32 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the local births deaths and marriage index - www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk found a Priscilla Thompson married a Thomas Davis in 1894 registered at Middlesbrough

Sheila
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 06 23:37 BST (UK) »
Well she is still married to George in 1891 plus three more children
Albert 8
John 6
Ethel 4
 If you haven't got her first marriage it might be worth it to find her fathers name and occupation
June quarter 1869
George Thompson / Priscilla Lee Stockton 10a 129

She is with George and their first child Jane in 1871
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 06 07:52 BST (UK) »
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
the only marriage that I could find doesn't fit but worth keeping on the back burner
June quarter 1905
William Maughan/ Priscilla Bell Durham 10a 671

which could tie in with

Marr Dec quarter 1894
Priscilla Thompson/Robert Henry Bell
Middlesbro 9d 1094 ..... but can't find her on 1901 census as Priscilla Bell ..... what's new as she should be on census 1851/1861 before her marriage born Hartlepool. I have found one Priscilla Lee b. 1849  :'(but Gravesend Kent FORTUNE TELLER lodging with Avis ( female )age 40 also fortune teller Lucy Lee and Severna Lee all lodging with James Jones master sweep.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your input.

I think I will have to get Priscillas and George Thompsons marriage certificate to see what that says, although, the Priscilla Bell marrying William Maugham does actually sound promising.

I have this family living at 43 Burbank, Hartlepool in 1931,32, 33, 34,35,36/7/8 also living with Priscilla Davis, Thomas Davis, Ethel Gaffney, Amelia Gaffney and Harold Thompson, William Maughan and Priscilla Maughan.
I do know that Ethel Gaffney was definately related to my grandmother, she was Priscllas daughter (from George Thompson) and married Thomas Gaffney.

So all the information that you have all sent does seem to tie together somehow. I will have to dissect it all further.

One thing though, my grandmother remembers going to Priscillas funeral in Hartlepool as a teenager but I have not found any record of her death, primarily I don't know what name she died under, but Hartlepool cemeteries cant find her either. She said it was quite a lavish affair as she was taken in a carriage pulled by horses. This would have been probably between 1937 and 1945. Would there be any articles in the local papers regarding this?

thanks for all your replies

Julia

Offline tjackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia.  I’ve just seen your chats regarding Priscilla nee Lee (Thompson/Davis).  Just wondering if you’ve got any further with her/need any help. She’s my great, great grandmother.  Regards

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Yes, I am still looking for Priscilla. She is my 3rd Great grandmother, and I have been looking for more information for a long time but everything I have found is so disjointed I cant make head nor tale of it.
Julia

Offline tjackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia. I've been trying to contact you but think I've got your old email.  Are you on Ancestry?
Regards
Tonia

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Tonia

I will send you a private message through here. Im on Ancestry but only as a free member.

Julia