Author Topic: 1841 Census (Annan)  (Read 8005 times)

Offline Redvers King

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1841 Census (Annan)
« on: Thursday 07 September 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
G'day,
New to Scots family history and wondering if somebody can advise just what's on the 1841 census, or is it just bare-bones names?
Found Andrew Thomson b abt 1806 and wife Margaret b ditto, plus son Andrew (1837) and daughter Margaret (1841, aged 3 mo) in the transcript for Annan. All are born "Scotland", which doesn't help greatly.
Know that wife Margaret was née Graham, but can't find their marriage (even in Gretna/Longtown), and without pob can't seem to get further back.
Any help greatly appreciated
Red

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census (Annan)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Red

A better census for you to look at is the 1851 Census at http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx  Luckily this one is free to view/search also.

I can see the family at  Address: Limekilns(812), Household no. II/11. If you go to the search page and just key in those two fields (has to be precise re spacing etc) and you will see the household details come up (15 entries including farm/household servants). You will find details of which parish they were born in and also a better feel on ages, compared to the 1841 index.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redvers King

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Many thanks for your interest and help, but sadly --- despite the coincidence of forenames --- they wouldn't seem to be the family I'm looking for. They are  on the 1851 for Cumberland, just over the border at Kirlinton Hall, Hethergill where Andrew Snr was gardener.
Yr kind reply does infer that, as per the English 1841 Census, the Scottish 1841 does give only bare-bones data.
Had initially thought Farmer Andrew and gardener Andrew might be close relatives, but other checks show many, many Thomsons (and Grahams) in the locality.
Again, my sincere thanks
Red

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Red

That's a pity. As you thought, bare bones only. You don't get relationships in the household, ages for people over 15 yrs are supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years (children under 15 are supposed to show true age) and, in respect of birth places, you only get whether they were born in the county that the census was being taken or 'born outside the county' but in Scotland.

If you could track down their death certs in England (?) they would at least show their fathers' names which would aid your searches.

Good luck!

Monica

Offline Redvers King

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Monica.
Will try the death Cert route.
Best wishes
Red

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Before you invest in the death certificates - sadly the England and Wales ones do not give any parents' names.

They're not half as good as the Scottish ones  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
Ooops my mistake, I'd been led to believe they at least showed the father's name.

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
No Monica - sometimes if it's a very young child and the informant might give a clue - very sad  :(

I've had a look on SP for Andrew bpt. 1800-1807 (because of the age banding) but it's needles and haystacks. One poss in Kirkpatrick Fleming but needn't necessarily have been born D & G  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Redvers King

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Thanks to you too for kind input. Like you say, "Needles" !!
Red