Author Topic: BROADS AND BROYDS  (Read 2863 times)

Offline nomee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BROADS AND BROYDS
« on: Friday 05 November 04 13:18 GMT (UK) »
HI

MY GRANDADS SIDE OF THE FAMILY ARE BROYDS HIS NAME IS JOHN, HIS DADS NAME WAS JOHN AND HIS DADS NAME WAS JOHN, HIS DADS NAME WAS WILLIAM BROAD, HIS DADS NAME WAS JOHN BROAD, HIS DAD WAS EDWARD BROAD WHO MARRIED A SARAH WIFFEN, THEY GOT MARRIED IN1809. UP UNTIL WILLIAM THE SIRNAME WAS BROAD BUT AND  AFTER THAT IT WAS BROYD. IF ANYONE KOWS WHT THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME OR IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO SUSAN WIFFENS AND EDWARD BROADS PARENTS ARE I WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO HEAR FROM YOU.

THANKS NOMEE   
Sirnames I'm researching
Broyds,Playels,Broads,Rawlinson's,Cresswells,Pettetts(pettitts),Taylors(england and Scotland),Hills and Humphreys.

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Re: BROADS AND BROYDS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 November 04 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Which makes you and me third cousins....

You can see details of this family on my website.  I suspect the name change is not really a change at all but is the interpretation of Essex dialect by the vicar.  All the BROYDs in Finchingfield appear as BROADs in church records for a few decades. 

I've not been able to track Edward and Susan's parents, but I suspect Edward was illegitimate because when he married a second time, after 1837 when father's names appeared in marriage records, no father's name was given.

Regards

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline nomee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 04 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi 3rd cousin

I've already been on your website a lady called Isabel Syde told me about it.
sorry for emailing you asking what your website was its just that i didn't see it.                    
                                yours sincerely
                            Naomi Taylor

Sirnames I'm researching
Broyds,Playels,Broads,Rawlinson's,Cresswells,Pettetts(pettitts),Taylors(england and Scotland),Hills and Humphreys.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 05 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nomee

Are you doing a One Name Study on the entire family name or are you just after information on these particular individuals?  :)

If the latter is the case I will gladly move the post for you to a more relevant board which may help to generate a response for you.   Please let me have any information on possible locations (County etc.) so I can place it in the right board.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 January 05 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nomee. Have Broyds in family. Essex, Fordham area. Rosina Broyd (Born 1884)was husband's grandmother. Her father was John Broyd born Gestingthorpe 1851.
Any connections?

Offline suea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caff.  I have Rosina or Rosanna on my tree.  Her father is John 1850(1)-1927 and her mother is Emma Chatters 1852-1928  She was one of 12 children. Don't know if you wanted this information.