Author Topic: PILLEY - Anywhere  (Read 2142 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
PILLEY - Anywhere
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am in the early stages of doing a One Name Study on the surname Pilley.

I have a database of all births marriages and deaths from 1837 - 2004 - the marriages I do not have spouses for from 1837-1912 but welcome any information to complete it. I have got all the Pilley spouses from Chelmsford/Maldon/Halstead districts - as this is where my Pilley's were from.

I also have all Pilley's from Boyds and Pallots marriage index.

So I welcome any requests for lookups or information to be sent to complete my information.

Regards

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: PILLEY - Anywhere
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am discovering Pilley's from Leith, Scotland and in 1841 there was just one person of that name in Scotland which made me wonder where did the Pilley's originate from.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

It is a tough one re the Scottish Pilley's as the name spelling seems to have been quite different earlier on and can make them a bit harder to track down.

There was a George Pilley/Pillie/Pyley/Peyley/Peylley/Payley/Pelley/Pillay/Pully/Pullie/Pillow who married Margaret Thomson in Leith in 1816 under the spelling Peyley, he was a Seaman.

George isn't on the 1841 census with his family. Margaret and some of her children appear at Water Lane in Leith under the spelling Pully.

Margaret aged 45 - her name was first written as Thomson then crossed out. Her occupation was also crossed out but looks like Seaman's Wife. With her was her son George aged 17 - a Paint Makers junior?, Will aged 15 same occupation as George, Alex aged 10 and Thomson aged 6.

There is also an entry in Leith for a George Pullie aged 47 (so year of birth around 1794) - he is listed somewhere with no address with several other men whose occupations look like Mer S At Sea. He seems to be down as being born in England rather than Scotland.

George and Margaret had the following children:

Isabella b. 1817 - married John Merrylees in 1842.  Baptism under the surname Pyley and marriage under the surname Peyley.
John b. 1821 baptism under the spelling Payley - seems to have used the name James - became a Stoker in the Merchant Navy. He married Margaret Muirhead in Leith in 1844 under the spelling Peylley.
Agnes b. 1823 - baptism under the spelling Payley - not sure yet what happened to her.
George b. 1824 - not found a baptism entry - married Margaret Campbell in Leith in 1845 under the spelling Pilley. He is down as being a Fireman - so likely a fireman stoker in the navy.
William b. 1826 - not found a baptism entry but there is a William b. 26th Jul 1826 in Leith who is a Stoker in the Merchant Navy in 1846. He married Christina Walker in Leith in 1852 under the spelling Pillay.
Alexander b. 1831 - baptism down under the spelling Payley, married Margaret Inglis in Leith in 1852 under the spelling Pillow. He was also in the Merchant Navy I believe.
Charles Donaldson b. 1833 - not sure what became of him. Baptism under the spelling Pillie.
Thomson b. 1835 - baptism under the spelling Peylley.

Margaret seems to have died between the 1841 and 1851 censuses. George then appears in 1851 under the surname Pillow at 49 Yard Heads, Leith.

George aged 53, Seaman born in South Leith (so gives a year of birth around 1798) with his son Thomson who is now a Painter and his unmarried sister in law Elisabeth Thomson aged 36 a House Keeper.

There are several records relating to George in the Merchant Seamen's record collection on Findmypast under the surnames Peyley, Peiley. His year of birth varies, one record from 1835 states he was born at sea giving a date of birth as 18th Aug 1792 and that he first went to sea as a boy in 1804 and that he had served in the Royal Navy.

It looks like he died sometime between 1851 and when formal registration started in 1855 as I am not finding a death record for him and the old parish registers are often patchy for burials.

It really is quite tough to pinpoint much more information about George's origins, the surname spelling could be something very different and might not actually have originally been Pilley at all, or perhaps his father was in the Navy - Royal Navy or Merchant Navy and he had actually been born at Sea or indeed Leith while at port, and perhaps his family origins are in England or further back in Scotland under other surname spellings.

DNA testing might help with finding other matches to other known Pilley families in England. The main locations are in Hampshire - as there is a village called Pilley there and likewise in Yorkshire as there is also a place called Pilley there. My Pilley line in based mostly in Essex and I believe may have come from Hertfordshire but beyond that it is unclear.

Hopefully the information is of some help. I have saved some of the Scottish records images if you don't already have them.

I think the other people with the name Pilley who appear in 1841 are visitors to Scotland. There is a Henrietta Pilley in Inverness in 1841 - she is the wife of a Preacher James Pilley who is listed in Banff in 1841 under Pilly. James was from Yorkshire.

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
"Alexander b. 1831 - baptism down under the spelling Payley, married Margaret Inglis in Leith in 1852 under the spelling Pillow. He was also in the Merchant Navy I believe."

Alexander and Margaret Inglis are my great-great-grandparents.  Their daughter Euphemia married George Barclay (my great grandparents) and their daughter Mary Barclay married James Tait Smith (my grandparents).  I have only just started researching the Pilley's and Inglis's families, so I don't know much about them as yet. 

I believe Alexander Pilley died in 1870, and I will chase up that certificate in due course.

His widow Margaret remarried in 1871 to William Westwood. 

Regards Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:08 BST (UK) »
I meant to say that I would appreciate copies of the images - if you could let me know which ones you have to share.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

No problem - I have a few of the marriage entries and a few death entries and some census images. If you send me a direct message on here with your email address I can then email them over to you.

All the best

Alex

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:07 BST (UK) »

message deleted

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy - you might want to edit your reply to remove the email address. I have it now so will email you.