Author Topic: WWI aussie soldier in Exeter Hospital  (Read 2255 times)

Offline nelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI aussie soldier in Exeter Hospital
« on: Friday 15 September 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Interested in finding out about any resources, history, details, past records of No 3 Exeter Hospital.

Grandfather was patient there while injured during WW1.  Though he returned to Aus after war he did not return to family and no record of him.  Family folklore of perhaps return to England.

Interested in any advice?

Offline Alison Exeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WWI aussie soldier in Exeter Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hope you're still interested in the no 3 hospital in Exeter.  I've just registered with this site so I can tell you what I know about this hospital. 
The building was attached to the workhouse and was a childrens home before WW1.  The military took it over during the war.  There are photos of ambulances and the outside of the building on local Exeter sites.  I would recommend that you look at Exeter Memories as it gives the hospital/workhouse history.  The building is still in use by the local NHS Trust as their HQ for Occupational Health. 
The home/hospital is part of the Heavitree Hospital site.  Most of the workhouse was destroyed during WW2 on May 4/5 1942 but the childrens home appears to be undamaged.
On a slightly different thread to your query, my Grandmother lived in a pub near the railway station and told my mother how she would watch the injured soldiers walk up from the station.  They walked in a line, one hand on the shoulder of the man in front.  There seems to have been a large number of military hosps in Exeter.
As far as the records are concerned I'm not sure where they would be but perhaps you should look up the online catalogue for the Devon Records Office.  I will say that they are very helpful.
Hope this is of interest to you
Regards
Alison

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 July 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Take a look at the marvellous website "David Cornforth Exeter Memories" - I am sure you will be surprised at the information it holds.  I think it is absolutely brilliant!

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_organisations/heavitree.php

Added:
Just noticed original thread is seven years old ... !
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Alison Exeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pricilla
I haven't noticed how old the orinal thread was but as I work just up the road from the former hosptial and have seen various documents not generally available I was interested in the subject.  The docs I've seen were orignal plans for the site before most of the buildings were flattened during the Blitz in May 42.
By the way I noticed that you are interested in a couple of families from Exeter so please let me know if you would like anything looked up.  Devons records office is going to be open this Saturday and I already plan on visiting.
Alison

Offline Julia Neville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
I am the research co-ordinator for the Exeter First World War Hospitals project. We'd love to know anything you have about your WWI aussie soldier in Exeter Hospital. We have been compiling a list of names, most of which come to us by chance but may be able to match your grandfather with some of them.
The building known as Hospital No 3 was the Children's Home belonging to the Exeter Workhouse which was lent by the Guardians of the Poor to the Red Cross for use during the First World War as a hospital, because it was a modern building which was easy to adapt.
To contact the project and to find out more information please see https://www.exeterlocalhistorysociety.co.uk/world-war-1-hospitals-exhibition/