Author Topic: Offer: List of Carthusians serving in British and Allied Forces in 1914-18 War  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I have just been given a book called: "Charterhouse in London" by Gerald S. Davies, published by John Murray in London in 1921.  A fascinating read, especially with so much about Charterhouse Square, where my mother's family lived for more than half the 19thC.
What also makes it even more interesting is its "Appendix G", which lists hundreds of Old Carthusians who served in the 1914-18 Great War.  The alphabetical list gives their boarding house at school, the year they left, their regiment and rank, and whether they were wounded, killed, prisoner of war, or mentioned in despatches; also any decorations they were awarded.
If there's anyone on Rootschat who is researching people who attended Charterhouse School, and might have served in this terrible war, I'd be more than happy to search the index for you.
A rough count of pages and numbers of men listed on each page gives a grand total of 3,000-3,500 individuals...
Best wishes,
keith

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: List of Carthusians serving in British and Allied Forces in 1914-18 War
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

I've just discovered that an ancestor was at Charterhouse school and may have been young enough to have served in the Great War.
Would it be possible for you to look and see if he's listed?

His name is Richard Banks Davies and he would have attended Charterhouse in the late 1870's.

Many thanks
Bean

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, Bean,
Sorry it's taken a while to respond, but I've been away in Yorkshire for a few days...
However, I've had a look in the book and the nearest to your man is a K.B. Davies.
I notice too on a quick flip through the list that the oldest man in the list is someone who left the school in 1874, so perhaps Richard Banks DAVIES was indeed too old to have participated in the Great War.
Very best wishes, keith

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 08:59 BST (UK) »
Keith,

Thank you very much for looking.

Regards Bean