Author Topic: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!  (Read 202710 times)

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 September 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
Haven't tried the BBC FH message board.  I didn't know about it.
For whoever is looking for a census in UK before 1841 - well there isn't one you have to go to parish resisters before that.

At least in Australia we have an 1828 census which is great as country not settled very far outside Botany Bay by then.

Good Luck

Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 September 07 06:00 BST (UK) »

For whoever is looking for a census in UK before 1841 - well there isn't one you have to go to parish resisters before that.

Not totally true I am afraid, there exist a number of earlier censuses than the 1841 although they are obviously not as useful to the family historian.

For example, i have used the 1821 & 1831 censuses that have survived for Marylebone and the 1831 for Hammersmith. They quote each property with the surnames & occupations of the head of the household and the numbers of others at that address.

I have also used the 1829 Poll of the 'hamlet' of Hammersmith.

There is a booklet called 'Pre-1841 Census & Population Listings in the British Isle' by Colin Chapman,  listing all the surveys in the UK from the middle ages.

http://www.lochinpublishing.org.uk/Pre%201841.htm

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 September 07 07:04 BST (UK) »
What you learn here! Did not know that there were earlier censuses, so I Googled
"Pre-1841 Census" and found an 1801 Census in Yarmouth, and bingo! a new relation!

Thanks, John!

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 September 07 07:38 BST (UK) »
Well done Meles!  ;D  I've got some 1821 and 1831 for a village in Sussex and that too allowed me to see some of relations a bit earlier!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 September 07 08:33 BST (UK) »
I've got some of the early ones for parts of London (found OHs ancestors on it)  and, a great prize, one of 1792 for Balmaclellan in Scotland.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 September 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
This looks useful:

Census Schedules & Listings 1801-1831
An introduction & guide.

http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/Staff_Research/working-papers/MW-RW-BM.pdf

It lists what was taken & where, & where copies can be found, for many counties.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline puterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 October 07 15:33 BST (UK) »
Wow, fantastic reading! I only joined yesterday but this topic has taught me loads, not least of which is that my eleven years of family research makes me a mere beginner lol! I certainly never knew there were earlier censuses. Thanks everyone.
Meredith, Stephens, Babb, Knowles, Morton, Sparrow, Cunliffe, Woods

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 October 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
Actually - not a new relation.

Why should I think William Brock carpenter b. 1780 Yarmouth was anything to do with William Brock journeyman carpenter b. c 1780 Yarmouth?  ::)

It's like one of those jigsaw puzzles where the picture is baked beans. Damn pieces can go anywhere...!

Rant over. Feel better now.  :)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peteseaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seaton Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 October 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Over on the BBC Family History message board, we get a number of newbies each time a new series of WDYTYA starts.  Some stay the distance, but most seem to disappear when they realise how much work is involved.

I realise that the programmes can't show every minute of every search, but the way it's done is very misleading, they should make it clear just how time-consuming & frustrating it can sometimes be when you don't have a tame expert on hand!

Betty

well, i logged in and said that ive traced my tree back to 1540 in scotland.

then some smart arse piped up and accused me of getting it all off the internet and thought he was giving me advice, err been there, done that

anyway, not it isn't that easy, i began with one name, and very little info.

the best advice is to take your time, and keep on checking and cross-referencing, and go to the churches and look at their records.
Seaton Welch Dempster Linstrom Solloway Lawrence McIntyre