Author Topic: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!  (Read 202706 times)

Offline peteseaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seaton Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 07 June 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
ooh ill take a look, another stone unturned   :D

Ooohhh no no Pete, not that board, this is the real BBC Family History Board
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/F2233810

I hope we have got better manners than that on there!!

;D
Betty

Over on the BBC Family History message board, we get a number of newbies each time a new series of WDYTYA starts.  Some stay the distance, but most seem to disappear when they realise how much work is involved.

I realise that the programmes can't show every minute of every search, but the way it's done is very misleading, they should make it clear just how time-consuming & frustrating it can sometimes be when you don't have a tame expert on hand!

Betty

well, i logged in and said that ive traced my tree back to 1540 in scotland.

then some smart arse piped up and accused me of getting it all off the internet and thought he was giving me advice, err been there, done that

anyway, not it isn't that easy, i began with one name, and very little info.

the best advice is to take your time, and keep on checking and cross-referencing, and go to the churches and look at their records.

Seaton Welch Dempster Linstrom Solloway Lawrence McIntyre

Offline penilelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 01 November 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Been reading the site & agree with everything said. My husband & I are each "doing" our own tree. Sometimes he steams ahead & at others it's me. I find that you come to the brick wall & stall sometimes for weeks & then suddenly come across the very person you are searching for. Is it possible that not all information comes up each time you log onto the census or BMD sites?
Does anyone else find this?
Great site, by the way, nice to hear from likeminded people.
Penilelly

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 02 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennilelly and welcome.
Is it possible that not all information comes up each time you log onto the census or BMD sites?
Does anyone else find this?
Great site, by the way, nice to hear from likeminded people.
Penilelly
New information gets onto the internet every day. Most genealogy info is being transcribed from census forms and parish records by volunteers. You have ordinary people like you and me reading antiquated hand-writing and copying it into computer programs, so it's slow going.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 November 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Its getting quite exciting at the moment finding out what new information set has been launched on the web somewhere.  It seems almost daily.  All power to the fingers of the volunteers.  :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ponygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 03 November 08 02:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm knew to this board, I just registered this evening.  I'm hoping to find out some information on my grandfather, whom I never knew and I've come to a standstill in my research.   My mother was illegitimate so this makes it harder to trace a person.  I have the name and date and place of birth, do I post it here or on one of the other message boards?  A bit confused.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 November 08 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi ponygirl and welcome to Rootschat!

The best thing to do is to start a new thread of whichever county look up request board your grandfather came from, ie if he was from Sussex the Sussex look up requests board, then someone who has information for that county may be able to help you.

Good luck with your searches.  :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline puterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi ponygirl

That was exactly the problem that I had when I started researching my family.

If I can be of any assistance to you please let me know by personal message.
Meredith, Stephens, Babb, Knowles, Morton, Sparrow, Cunliffe, Woods

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Puterman ... I'd remove the email address if I were you !   Otherwise spammers will get you by the hundred !

Its much safer to use the RootsChat PM system ... Private (or Personal) Messages ... click the little green scroll on the left to send one to someone ... but I think you have to have 5 or so 'proper' postings before that system can work (again, to stop spammers)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline puterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Puterman ... I'd remove the email address if I were you !   Otherwise spammers will get you by the hundred !

Its much safer to use the RootsChat PM system ... Private (or Personal) Messages ... click the little green scroll on the left to send one to someone ... but I think you have to have 5 or so 'proper' postings before that system can work (again, to stop spammers)

Thanks, I would not have thought that they would get anywhere with so many topics, but I have taken your sage advice.

Best regards
Meredith, Stephens, Babb, Knowles, Morton, Sparrow, Cunliffe, Woods