Author Topic: LANES family mainly Colbey, and Bracebridge  (Read 7507 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: LANES
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilleen,

Are you researching all lanes from Lincolnshire or just this part of the County?

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
Re: LANES
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah  :),

mainly Colbey, and Bracebridge,  but I know some other them were in other parts of the County.

so , any related to Me  :)
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
Re: LANES family mainly Colbey, and Bracebridge
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 19 15:25 GMT (UK) »
meet the family  :)

George Marshall Lanes ,1843 to 1925

2nd wife Mary Hardy ,1844- 1910

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline sal0062

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 June 19 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am Stephen Lanes - son of Edward Alec Lanes - son of Wilfred Marshall Lanes, who was the brother of Arthur Robert Lanes. I only stumbled across this website by accident as I am passing Coleby over the weekend and was going to try to find the Lanes family home, but again have come across the same problem as cant find Blacksmith Lane, even on the old maps - any ideas?

I did a bit of family research many years ago, but nothing since. I am in possession of the "Lanes" family teapot from 1894 made out of what is know as bargeware and is headed GM & M Lames (not Lanes - typo?) Coleby - it has been passed down the family in my favour and I intend to do the same as I have 2 sons.

My father was Edward Alec Lanes, brother of Roy Rupert Lanes - I only remember Roy briefly as he died when I was 10, but lived fairly close in Newark. I met his wife at an event in Newark about 10 years ago and I believe he had 2 daughters. Roy had 9 siblings (not 7) - the last to die was Frank Marshall Lanes last year in Newark and I went to his funeral in Balderton.

In my former research, I believe I came to the same origin of tracing back to Hannah Lane, born 6 January 1782, died 3 June 1856 - I can only assume that just like the teapot, there was a misunderstanding along the way, with Lane became Lanes.

Offline neillanes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 June 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen thanks for posting I've been off here for a while as I was injured at work but I'm on the mend now I'm Roy lanes grandson Neil my mum is dawn and you're right he did have 2 daughters my aunt Diana died last year my nan Edith is still alive, I'd like to know where our family comes from as far back as you know please regards neil

Offline sal0062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 June 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

As I previously inferred, I met briefly Edith at Frank Lanes 80th birthday celebrations in Newark several years ago - I cant remember if Dawn was with her or not. I was advised by one of cousins that Diana had died - from recollection, she had moved to Germany some years ago. I believe Roy, Edith and the 2 daughters lived on Stephen Road, Newark and we lived on Lincoln Road, close by. Roy's brother Frank lived on Wolsey Road, but my closest uncle when I was young was George Lanes who lived on Park Crescent as we both travelled to see Nottingham Forest play - it was the same house in Park Crescent where Roy's father Wilfred Marshall Lanes died on 13 February 1963 - I was quite young then, but do recall that all the sons in the locality took turns to be by his bedside during his final hours. as you say, Roy died at a young age and for some reason, I recall that he was a lorry driver and died of a thrombosis (this as I say is mere recollection).

As far as the history of the family is concerned, the family in the near term came from Coleby near Lincoln - it is a stunning village on a cliff, there George Marshall Lanes had 8 children, including the said Wilfred Marshall Lanes. He then moved to Balderton near Newark and had 10 children of his own including Roy - of the ones I know about, the other siblings lived in Balderton, Newark, Nottingham, Lymington and North Hykeham near Lincoln. There are still many cousins living in Newark and Balderton who I occasionally see.

If you go into the mists of time before George Marshall Lanes, there is a connection with Laneham in the 18th century. This again is another pretty village towards the north of Nottinghamshire on the banks of the river Trent. The intriguing factor is that Ham in Anglo Saxon means village, so it implies it could be effectively be the home of the Lane! I have never found the time to carry out further research.

Offline neillanes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much I just want to absorb all the info I can the only lanes I've met apart from my mum and aunt are uncle Frank Marlene and Yvonne nan tells me that grandad Roy was a keen sportsman I was too representing Lincoln City fc youth team at football and playing cricket and rugby and a high standard I wish I had met him as my own father bailed out on me & my sister and my step father who adopted us wasn't really much good but still life goes on I work as a bin man for newark Council and live down beech avenue newark I'm married and have 3 children and 2 stepdaughters that I class as my own life is good just feel like a big part of my life is missing as when my nan remarried the lanes side didn't have anything to do with us as for the tea pot my nan says it was granny Emma's pride & joy

Offline sal0062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 June 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Neil

I still see Yvonne and Marlene on a fairly frequent basis and David (Franks other son) on occasions. I went to Magnus at the end of your road when it was a grammar school and we had Chris Grant as our history teacher who played for Nottinghamshire cricket as well - he would put a half crown on the top of the middle stump in the nets, which as a pupil you got if you could knock it off - we never could. Also I was one year different from Dusty Hare who played for England at rugby. My father died in 1973 and my mother sold the house in Lincoln Road and moved to West Bridgford to be with her side of the family and with me at university, we also lost touch with many of the Lanes family at that time. I have inherited some photos from my parents and if I come across one which I think may be Roy and Edith I will pass on.

The bargeware teapot is not worth much as an antique but sentimentally it will not be sold but passed down the Lanes line. I believe Frank was passed the teapot from his brother George when he died.

The Lanes are still fairly represented in the locality - Marlene is very active with the scouts in Balderton with a marching band consisting of many second and third cousins. Musically, they are very good and attend several events each year.

Stephen

Offline sal0062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 10:58 BST (UK) »
I briefly visited Coleby on Saturday. It is a small elegant village. I believe I may have resolved the issue of reference to Blacksmith Lane on the 1881 census, even though no reference to this name can be found on maps. The clue is that I was looking for a Blacksmith and found it on Church Lane (see photos). It is next to the church, but whether they had marked street names then I cannot say. However in discussion with the occupier opposite, he advised that even though this was the blacksmiths house, the actual blacksmiths shop was opposite, where he lives - seems there is no desire for blacksmiths these days and the shop was demolished and his new house built. I suspect that the person conducting the census turned the corner, saw the blacksmith shop and house and called it Blacksmith Lane. A further clue is that on the same page as the Lanes family on the census is a blacksmith occupation family. There are several similar buildings along Church Lane, but which one was occupied by the Lanes family I cannot say - all depends on how the census data was collected. There was a village school operating in Coleby at the time, so possibly the scholar information identified on the census can be followed up. In addition the church is extremely old going back to the Saxon age, so perhaps another source of information, but it all takes time and effort.