Author Topic: Elgin  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
Elgin
« on: Sunday 17 September 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, After getting a map of Elgin and finding the streets where my ancestors lived, I am now asking for a big favour, would anyone with a digital camera  ???find and take photos of three homes for me, " Maybank " Reidhaven street, this may now be a manse for the church, William Laing ( vet for Elgin ) sold it to the parish council in about 1922.  his last home before he died in 1924 was " Rosebank " South Guildry Street,  and finally where he died , his Mamma's home " Weston House" I think on Moss street. hopefully there is someone out there up for a challenge.   thankyou  from Eilleen.  :-*
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

I could probably do this some time, as I will probably be in Elgin in the next few weeks.

However can I ask you to check the place of death, because Weston House in Moss Street, Keith was turned into a residential care home in 1979 by its owner, Mr (Peter?) Laing. The owner in 1901 was another Mr Peter Laing.

As far as I know there isn't a Weston House in Moss Street, Elgin. There is a Weston House in Elgin but it is in Hay Street.

[Edit] I had a look on http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and this confirms that William Laing, veterinary surgeon, son of Peter Laing and Elizabeth Ann McHattie, died on 15 May 1924 in Weston House, Keith and is buried in the old kirkyard in Keith.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,  you are right ,Weston House,  the family home when William Laing was growing up, and where he died after a short illness is in Keith and not Elgin, . sorry about that, but thankyou so much for the kind offer.  hope to hear from you soon. from Elleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,   thankyou for the link etc,  yes that is the home of my ancestors,   thankyou , thankyou.   
 from Eilleen.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 23:49 GMT (UK) »
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

My first forray into Moray records. What a fantastic resource. Would that more areas had such a wonderful service!
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 00:18 GMT (UK) »
My first forray into Moray records. What a fantastic resource. Would that more areas had such a wonderful service!

Thanks. As well as the staff there is a small army of volunteers who are adding to it every day.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Well done the volunteers.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 August 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Did you get the photos?

I realise that the original post here was a while ago, but I'm new here - and from Elgin; so I can take the photos if required.  I'll even go to Keith!!!
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland