Author Topic: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search - Part 1  (Read 260607 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 September 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much, I think I will head off there next weekend  ;D

To think I was wandering around there a few months ago, had a feeling they were there somewhere but couldn't find anyone to ask, now I am a woman on a mission!!

Thanks again

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 September 06 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,

I wonder if you are able to help my husband find the lair record for some of his ancestors.  He has already looked for a gravestone but had no luck.

Samuel Finlay died 15.7.1893 and his wife Marion McQueen died 25.5.1917

Any information would be appreciated.

Kilsyth

Offline his

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 September 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Kilsyth, here are your husbands forebears

Samuel Finlay (Coalminer) Residence Wishaw, (Married), age 54yrs. Parents: John Finlay & Madaleine Russell, buried, 18th.July, 1893, Lair: Sec. D 136 New Private ground.
Marion Finlay (Housewife) Residence, 27 Castlehill Feus, Wishaw, (Widow) Age 83yrs. Parents John MCQueen & Janet Lindsay, buried, 23rd.May, 1917 Lair: Sec. D 136 New Private ground.
John Finlay (Coalminer) (Married) Residence: Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Usual Res. Castlehill, Wishaw, Parents; Samuel Finlay & Marion McQueen, buried, 9th. July 1918 Lair: E2808 New Private ground.
Samuel Finlay (Coalminer (Single) Residence, 314 Caledonian Road, Wishaw, age 50yrs. Parents: Samuel Finlay & Marion McQueen buried 28th. December. 1920 Lair: E609 New Private ground.
As I said to Jen, if you ask at the Graveyard office in Cambusnethan, I am sure that the staff will show him where the Lair is, the only thing is, that there might not be a headstone.

Yours. Ron.

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 September 06 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,

Many thanks for such a quick response.  The information is just what we have been looking for.  My husband has done a lot of research into his line and is most surprised that you have found a Samuel Finlay (the son) he did not know about.  That was a bonus!  As he knows there are other Finlay relatives buried in Cambusnethan, we are wondering if the resource you are using is available to us.

Thank you again from two 'excited' researchers.

Offline his

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 September 06 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Kilsyth. The information that I gave you is on a compact disc, of all the burials in cambusnethan Graveyard from the 1600s,up to 1993, with some gaps, but unfortunately it is not for sale, if you have any other queries, I will be most happy to have a search, and if you can give me the parents names, that will be a big help.
We also have surveyed Airbles, The Globe, South Dalziel and St. Patrick's Dalzell Estate graveyards in Motherwell, if you have anybody in them.
Yours Ron.

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,

Thank you for your very kind offer.  We have been to the offices at Bellshill, met the very pleasant, helpful staff and studied several cemetery registers so we know that putting the information on CD would be quite a task.  Is the CD available for searching e.g. at the Motherwell Heritage Centre?  Our car is at the ready!!!!!

Kilsyth

Offline his

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Kilsyth. Yes the disc can be viewed at the Heritage Centre, Along with any others, it is open,Wednesday to Saturday, from 10am. to 5pm.

Yours Ron.

Offline his

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Kilsyth, I don't Know if you received my last message, it was to say that, yes, the disc is available in the Heritage Centre, which is open, Wednesday to Saturday, from 10am. to 5pm. Happy hunting.

Yours Ron.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 September 06 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Just wanted to let you know that I found my Fulton's  ;D ;D ;D

The headstone was hidden behind a thick wall of ivy but with a little "gardening" managed to read the whole thing.....I never  would have found it if it wasn't for your information.

Thank you sooooo much

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill