Author Topic: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration - COMPLETED  (Read 4931 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Pete: I can't help with investigating the Canadian census, since I live south of Canada. But I can tell you that I have a similar situation with my Slater ancestors in Yorkshire. Years ago I searched the 1881 U.K. census and found my 2 gt-grandfather James Slater enumerated with his wife and several of his children in Northowram, near Halifax. He was 54 years old and a miner.

Last week I searched the 1881 U.K. census via the Mormon website FamilySearch.org, looking for a Slater son named John Henry Slater and his family. I found John Henry in Dukinfield, near Manchester; his family was enumerated in Northowram, without him. In Dukinfield, John Henry was enumerated alone and listed as head. He was a stone miner.

I have a habit of looking at the nearby households when I search a census. Lo and behold, there's a James Slater, age 55 and a stone miner, next door to John Henry in Dukinfield. James is listed as head and works as a stone miner. My 2gt-grandfather again! What a nice honor for the Crown to bestow upon him. He and John Henry seem to be occupying a premise at the Institute and Cooop Stores in Dukinfield, possibly accommodations for transients(?).

I pondered the possibilities:

1. The James Slater with his family and then in Dukinfield might have been an early case of cloning. Unlikely. Science wasn't that far advanced.

2. James Slater might have been in two places at one time. Impossible. Breaks the laws of physics. Everyone in my family is too timid to break any laws.

3. James Slater in Halifax and James Slater in Dukinfield were brothers. Improbable though not impossible. The American boxer George Foreman has five or six sons, all named George! The two Jameses would also have been twins, since their ages were (nearly) identical. More improbable.

That leaves (4) Susey Slater, James Slater's wife, filled out the census form and wrote in her husband's information because a loving wife would do that for an absent husband. That's the explanation I'm settling upon.

But your case is a little more difficult, and I don't know what to say. Dukinfield and Northowram are 20 or 25 miles apart. In contrast, Barrie and York, Ontario are about 175 miles apart. Winnipeg and Cranbrook, BC have 1,500 long miles between them. Being enumerated in Barrie and York at the same time, I think, is possible, if Charles were visiting up there on census day. Perhaps he was also visiting his brother in Cranbrook at census time. Again, I think family is likely to include members who will be absent for only a short time, meaning that his mother and his wife listed him on successive censuses.

But that brings up question of why John Henry Slater's wife did not include him when she filled out the census form. Perhaps she was telegraphing him a message in the only way a Victorian lady could!!? I jest, of course. All members of my family--even those who have married in--love their huband or wife and all their children.

Does this clears anything up?
Regards,
John :o :o :o

ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete,

I went to the library today, and found a few things

1871 Ontario Census, Barrie, Ontario

Thomas Fulljames, 51, England, Church of England, Farmer
Mary Fulljames, 49

James Fulljames, 25, England, Church of England, printer
Eliza, 22
Henry, 24, farmer
George, 21
Edgar, 17
Egbert, 14
Alfred, 12
Albert, 4
Mary Ann, 66
Maud, 4, born Ontario

1871 Nominal Return of the Deaths within last twelve months, Barrie

Eliza Fulljames, age 1+, Church of England, born England, Heart Disease

In the Northern Advance Newspaper was the following death:

On the 24th day of April, 1874, at Foscombe (?), near Gloucester, England. Thos Fulljames, Esq. aged 66 years, eldest brother of John Pringle Fulljames, of Barrie, Ontario

So in the England death registers is

Thomas Fulljames
Year of Registration: 1874
Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Age at death: 66
District: Gloucester
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 172

1871 Ontario Census, Yorkville

Mary Fulljames, age 50, Widow, Born: United States, Church of England
Sopia Mary Fulljames, 14, born Ontario
Beasley, William, 24, born England, Butcher
Beasley, Elsie Ann, 23, born Ontario

In the 1850 Directory there is a Henry William Fulljames living in York, Craven Heifer Inn.  So, I think the Mary born in the US is the wife/widow of this Henry William Fulljames.

Barrie and Toronto are only 60 miles apart, so I think as well that Charles could have been marked down at both places.

1891 Ontario Census, Barrie, Ontario

John P. Fulljames, 78 years, Widow, head
Birthplace:  England
Father's Birthplace:  England
Mother's Birthplace:  England
Religion:  Church of England
Profession:  Independent

Francis Fulljames, 50, daughter
Birthplace:  England
Father's birthplace:  England
Mother's birthplace:  England

Annie Fulljames, 42, daughter
same info as Francis

Death Registration for:

Mary Fulljames
Date of Death:  February 12, 1887
68 years old
Widow
Where Born:  New York
Cause of Death:  Apoplocite(?) fit, 10 days
Reg. NO. 019794

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
  • http://thewhitefamilyhistory.org.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Karen and John,

Thanks for the further help. I am pretty certain that Charles 1 and 2 are the same. I found automatedgenealogy.com yesterday and it seems they have the same birth date in the 1901 census.

From Karen's information, if Mary 2 is Henry WIlliams's wife then I think I know who this Henry is. The name of the daughter Sophia gives it away. John Pringle's mother was called Sophia. This John also had a brother Henry. I would guess the Henry went first to Canada and John Pringle followed him.

I will follow up on this lead.

Thank again for the help,

Pete
whites, oxon; fulljames, kent; sawyer, london, essex; figtree, anywhere; clark, kent; pipe, somerset; shorter, glos; woodman, wilts.