Author Topic: Hanna Lookup Request  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hanna Lookup Request
« on: Monday 18 September 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for a birth record for William Stewart HANNA, b. abt 1835, County Tyrone, son of Robert Hanna and Jane Stewart. 

Information I have is that this could be in the  Camteel Presbytarian Church, Fintona (Donacavey) Presbytarian Church, 2nd Omagh and 1st Dungannon church.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
KESTON.

- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- McDowell - Raloo, Antrim; Garthland, Galloway; Drury, Maketu, NZ
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Bell - Fermanagh, Ireland; Papakura, NZ
- Hanna - Tyrone, Ireland & West Coast NZ
- Burns, Johnston(e), King and Moffat - Peebles, Traquair, Selkirk, Scotland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hanna Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Going through older posts and noticed this one had not received a reply.

Have you been able to find any church records yet or narrow down the area where William Stewart Hanna lived?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I still have not had any luck with this one.
- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Where have you searched so far?- you mentioned possible church records in your 1st post- have you been able to check them?
LDS Pilot site has just recently added index to Irish civil registrations and you might be able to find something there:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Based on further research, my William may have been the son of Robert Hannah and Susan Stewart of Donamona or Donacavey in Fintona in Tyrone.  The birth date I have for him is 1835.

Robert emigrated to New Brunswick in the late 1830's with Susan and his son William. 

Robert may have been the son of Robert Hanna, a farmer and Elizabeth Buchanan, both of Fintona.

I understand that one brother of Robert, Christopher, stayed in Ireland and died in Fintona.  Another brother, James, and potentially a sister Catherine emigrated to NSW.

Susan Hannah died in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1853, and Robert remarried to Sarah Henderson in the same year.

Does anyone have any further information on this family?

Many thanks
KESTON.

- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline Steve Hill (Hanna)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a Hanna in Canada.
Not sure if there's any connection to a record I located in Fintona but the location is close to my roots in Omagh and Erganaugh, Tyrone, Parish of Cappaugh. I located the birth records of William Stewart Hanna born 1835 in Fintona to Robert Hanna and Jane Stewart. Not sure if there's a connection to my family roots that I'm also seeking information on as follows:

I'm searching for any information on my 4x great grandfather. Robert Hana or Robert Hanna born circa 1850/1860, father to James Hanna. James married Mary Anne Burns in 1879 in Omagh. Also seeking birth records for James Hana. They had 4 known children, Robert, Mary Margaret, Thomas, and Anne Jane. Thomas moved to Canada and married Alice Mabel Francis (born in England). Thomas was born in 1883 and died in the Greater Toronto Region in 1963. Thomas' children's names are Harvey and Marion (married to Eric Harris in Islington, Canada). Harvey married Marie Hill and moved to Hollywood-Burbank California where he died in 1980. Their one child is Raie Thomas Hill (Hanna) remained in Toronto, Canada where he died in 2015. Any further information on the Mountjoy Presbyterian Church records, Cappagh Parish in Omagh for the Hanna family is greatly appreciated. Brothers and sisters to James might include John, Charles, Joseph and Mary Ann.
Many Thanks! Steve Hill (Hanna)
Toronto, Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Microfilmed records for Mountjoy Presbyterian Church are in PRONI, Belfast-
P.  Mountjoy  [Known as Crossroads up to 1878]
Baptisms, 1821-1979; marriages, 1821-1924; list of seat holders, 1832; pew rents, 1829.
MIC1P/242; CR.3/29
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf

Offline Steve Hill (Hanna)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 18 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Many, Many thanks for providing the link to the records guide. Regards, Steve

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 January 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The record you refer to sounds very much like my /William Stewart Hanna.  Was there any further information in the record, for example a birth date?

Based on some contacts I have had from others with Hanna links from Canada, I would assume that my Hannas from Tyrone were definitely linked with Hannas from elsewhere in Northern Ireland.

Many thanks for your help,
KESTON.
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick