Author Topic: Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????  (Read 48851 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????
« Reply #387 on: Sunday 28 December 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Bumping isnt allowed.

Please consider the responses you've had so far and re-post when you've decided what further information you require.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????
« Reply #388 on: Sunday 04 January 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Had a look back at a few posts of the thread here and the shieffieldforum one and I do hate to say this but I don't think the hotel's even in Sheffield!
"On the back of the photo it says Charles Buxton Sheffield." Buxton's seem to have lived in Sheffield area but donesn't mean the hotel was ever there.

Thread here started in Sept.2006 by knightstemplar: "It was taken in 1912 and was first thought to be Sheffield" and "On the back of the photo it says Charles Buxton Sheffield."

21 Feb.2007 by knightstemplar: "It might not be in Sheffield at all."

21 Feb.2007 by liverpool annie: "Whaaaaaaaat ??  Mightn't be in Sheffield after all that ??"

21 Feb.2007 by knightstemplar: "Local studies is convinced it isnt, he is usually right, but we still dont know."

22 Feb.2007 by J.J.: "Sheffield may only refer to the residence of Mr. Buxton in 1911..."

26 Feb.2007 by knightstemplar: "Dont just look at Sheffield, just because it says Sheffield on the other side of the card doesnt mean it it is Sheffield."

27 Feb.2007 by jaywit: "There are a couple of things that have bugged me about this from the beginning. Firstly it is on flat ground and appears to be a good sized area of flat ground, which must cut down the possibilities of where it could have been in Sheffield, and secondly there appears to be a small enclosed 'garden' in front of the windows, would a city centre hotel of that period have that feature? I would have thought at that time not much would  grow in central Sheffield."

1 Mar.2007 by julianb: "I have this niggling suspicion that it might not be Sheffield ......."
1 Mar.2007 by joanne56: "I am inclined to agree Julian.  I have looked at every available picture of Sheffield both old and new and the style just does not fit in. I must say I have abandoned the search ( it was driving me crazy) but I will also add that when I first saw the picture my immediate thought was "it looks like Blackpool" "

After being bumped up here for no reason several times no one has yet proven the picture was taken in Sheffield. Surely by now with all the posts in both places someone would have spotted it by now.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!