Author Topic: Ancestral surprises  (Read 3779 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Ancestral surprises
« on: Saturday 06 November 04 21:24 GMT (UK) »
In another thread some posters have bemoaned their "boring ancestors" ( I believe very much tongue in cheek) but it did get me to thinking about my own ancestors and how I am constantly surprised at just how far travelled some of them were.
I was always aware of the naval links (Merchant Navy in my case and Royal Navy in my wifes) but it was others who have travelled to and lived in Burma, Malaya India, Sth Africa Australia Canada and New Zealand that caught me out.
Even closer to home I had always been led to believe that my fathers ancestors settled in Glasgow from ireland married into Glaswegian families and stayed in the same area of Glasgow for generations.Poppycock ..... that lot had itchy feet and never seemed to stay in the one area for more than a few years.
Oh how I wish for a few boring ancestors who stayed in the same area married the girl next door and brought up their children to follow exactly in their footsteps. ;) 

Offline olias

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral surprises
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 04 12:23 GMT (UK) »
as long as their names not SMITH like mine
Smith- (yes I know)All from Faversham area of Kent
Philpott- mid 1800 back
Sladden- Preston under Wingham

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 04 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I think it is very cruel of you to rub it in like that Falkyrn. :'(
I confess to exaggerating a bit cos one of Mum's rellys did emigrate to derbyshire but as that was before 1596 and only from the next county I don't think it counts as travelling exactly..... ::)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 04 21:44 GMT (UK) »
It just felt good to get that little rant off of my chest after I had run into another brick wall trying to track down some of my "blessed" rellies. .... The one I would love to tie down is the one outed as a witch in the 1600's .  (it might explain some of my daughters tastes  ;D )
Unfortunately she is about 40 years adrift of the nearest confirmed relative although she has a first name in common use for the family the same surname and comes from the same village as my confirmed rellies she has to remain on the maybe pile until some more evidence crops up

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I have the criminals and those loving who they shouldn't. All of whom seemed to stay relatively close to the Liverpool area, other than a short jaunt to Scotland, but never in the same place for long. Seems people back then got up and moved in a seconds notice...makes your search just that much more interesting. LOL!!!

Minime
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 04 16:11 GMT (UK) »
None of my lot seemed to move as they were born, married & died in the same area but some of them travelled a lot in the Army.  One of my ancestors was in Canada in 1816, another in Cheshire in 1807 etc etc etc.

Norfolk is and was a great place to live as they came back!

I did the same as I went to France to work when I was 19, came home and met a girl who lived four miles from home and settled down, married (21 years ago) and we live seven miles from "home".

Norfolk is in my blood!!!!!

Teddy
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 November 04 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hey Teddy,

You must be quite lonely in Norfolk, because there are one heck of a lot of people from your neck of the woods round the Hull area.  I just wish mine would stay in the same area for more than one census.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed, several of my lot went to Hull.  One was an omnibus driver in 1909 (Bear) another was into fishing Bennefer and another I don't know what they did Weasenham.

I always thought it was because of the fishing fleets that went from Norfolk to Scotland with Hull in between.

Teddybear

By the way, there was a Tuthill family in the Dereham area, anything to do with you?

Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hey Teddy,

Just don't get me going on Tuthills

My husband has Tuthill ancestors in Suffolk moving upto Flamborough and then to Hull

I've got Tuttles in Norfolk moving upto Cottingham, East Yorkshire.

About 50 years ago my granny Tuttle lived in Cottingham and further down the street across the road was a shop called Tuthills.

I get easily confused :)

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk