Author Topic: Seeking info: O'Brien (aka Brien) 1867 of Coolbagh (Youghal)  (Read 9256 times)

Offline geodan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking info: O'Brien (aka Brien) 1867 of Coolbagh (Youghal)
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Seeking family info on my g.grandfather, Patrick Joseph O'Brien, b. 28Oct1865, Coolbagh township, Clashmore parish, Youghal PLU, Waterford, Ireland to parents Maurice O'Brien and Mary Murphy.  IGI shows two brothers: John, b. 1Oct1867 and Darby b. 6Apr1869.

Patrick emigrated to America at age 20, embarking Queenstown on 'City of Chicago' and arriving New York, New York on 24 Jun 1888.  (He later arrived Milwaukee where he met and married Elizabeth Mary Gill of Roscommon in 1899.)

Would appreciate additional information on Patrick Joseph O'Brien, especially on other members of this Coolbagh family with any birth, death or marriage data, if known.  1901 Clashmore census data seems unattainable via internet, yet would be very useful.

Thank you.

Offline Ter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: O'Brien (aka Brien) 1867 of Coolbagh (Youghal)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 08 23:41 BST (UK) »
Did you ever get any info on the O'Brien family from Coolbagh? I only came on this site tonight for something else.

Offline geodan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 01:35 BST (UK) »
Ter,

No, you are the first to reply.

I did write to the Parish (?) in Clashmore regarding vital records, but they were reluctant to search their records without a significant commitment from me, it seemed, so I opted to exhaust other resources first.

My sisters will be visiting Ireland this fall (from California) but seem more interested in visiting the O'Brien Castle and the Waterford crystal factories than looking at headstones, etc. ... can you imagine?

Unfortunately, I've lent my note binder to one of them, and at age 70 my recall is a bit light.  I do recall piecing together a map of Coolbagh based on data from the big survey taken around 1880(?).  Seems there were about eight O'Brien households at the time, one of which may have been a Mary O'Brien.  There was a blacksmith on the northeast section of Coolbagh at the time, near the N-S road to Clashmore, who may have apprenticed my grandfather, Patrick Joseph O'Brien and perhaps a cousin, Thomas O'Brien, prior to their departures to the U.S.  My grandfather sailed from Queenstown on the steamship named the "City of Chicago", in 1888, arriving New York on June 24th.

Finally, I recall a Maurice O'Brien and wife Anastasia being listed in or near Coolbagh in the early 1800's that may have been my grandfather's grandparents.

Anything you might be able to contribute to this quest would be highly appreciated. 

Offline Ter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 12:03 BST (UK) »
Geodan leave that with me and I'll see what I can do. I'll be able to do a census look up for you. I'm going to send you a personal message also.

Offline Ter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 16:36 BST (UK) »
Geodan I seem to be having a problem getting in my mail on the computer today if you want to do a post up here. Seems like there are messages trying to come in but I'm not receiving them.

Now if you get onto www.waterford-heritage.ie they are very good. Give them all the information you have , they charge a small fee. They should be able to come up with family members names etc., for you.

If you go onto www.waterfordcoco.ie   click Library Services, then go to family history, go onto death registers and then you will see access to death registers, if you put in a search there for O'Brien, Coolbagh you should come up with some death records. Tomorrow I am going to do the census lookup for you.

Offline geodan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
Ter,

I've read your replies and sent an email to your address about two hours prior to sending this message.  It was mostly a bit more on my grandfather, and info on myself which would not benefit this website.  Let me know if you fail to receive it.

Thanks for info on the two links.  Will try to use them this evening.

Dan

Offline Ter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Just got that in this minute.

Offline mcenros2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi dan,

Hoping to do some research over next few months on family tree and just googled o'brien coolbagh and your post came up. You may have received more information in the meantime.

My granfather was a William O'Brien from Coolbagh (born 1915). I do know that both his parents spent some time in America before returning to Waterford - I think there names were John & Mary O'Brien. I will revert this weekend with more information.

Shane

Offline geodan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Shane,

I had the name and contact info of a lady from Coolbagh, maiden name O'Brien, who met my two sisters (in May, 2009?) and showed them what may have been my grandfathers home as a child, before his having traveled to the U.S.  I will try to locate her information and will post again if I find it.

Good luck on your search.